Forum

PRO

Stihl, Stihl, Stihl - why do you insist of making the lives of professional contractors difficult ?

We need a replacement Kombo attachment urgently to continue a job on Friday.

A Dealer has them, but I have no one that can get there tomorrow to 'collect' and you would not let me order from the Dealer today for next day delivery.

Why do you persist with this stupid (I can think of no better word) practice when dealing with contractors?

Can someone from Stihl stand up and explain EXACTLY what the perceived problem is?

FOR GOODNESS SAKE, IT'S AN ATTACHMENT, WE HAVE 2 ALREADY (plus £KK's of equipment).

WHY DO WE NEED A HAND OVER, WHAT NEEDS TO BE PDI'd THAT IS SO SO UNIQUE TO STIHL?????

NO OTHER MANUFACTURER DOES THIS.

MAYBE IT IS TIME TO JUMP SHIP TO HUSKY OR HONDA AS WE RENEW OUR KIT?

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've an FS94 strimmer that had exactly that problem a couple of years back............... picked up a new carb from China...... £20 including postage............... and its been fine ever since. Don't know how they can do these things so cheap............ it's certainly adequate quality as been working perfectly for 2 years and looks absolutely identical to the original.  As well as the price, another advantage is that there are no "limiter caps" on  the adjustment screws which makes carb adjustment/cleaning so much better.

• PRO

If I've understood comments I've seen and the timeline, Stihl bought Zama (the makers of the Carbs now in use on Stihl) and dropped the Walbro Carbs. If that is correct, is it a coincidence that there seems more Carb/running issues now ? With these Carbs, it seems Unit replacement is preferred over re-furbing them.

Can anyone confirm this ?

We have Asset No. marked all our gear and the code is reflected on the Dealer's Repair sheets (hence on our invoices), that way we can track what keeps going back in for repair & common issues.

• PRO
        Every Stihl machine I have brought in the last 3 years has had carb issues within 3 months of running the kit, at first I thought it was something I was doing wrong, not the case, atrocious...
        • PRO

Could it be down to stale or ethanol rich fuel damaging the carbs rather than a technical fault?

• PRO
            Hi Phil, I thought it may be fuel related, however I also run Husqvarna, Echo, Allen and old Stihl products with no issues at all and they all use the same fuel?
          • PRO
            Certainly on high performance cars a few years old, they are advised to keep off E10 fuel, or only run 1 tank in 4.

Could it be Stihl's new carbs seals are affected by it ?
      • PRO

I'm not endorsing, nor suggesting anything here (and putting aside the buyer beware, warranty and maybe safety issues...) other than simply asking 'How do they do it' !!!

1off non-OEM Stihl HS45 Carb, gaskets, spare primer bulb, air & fuel filter for £9.99 shipped.

• PRO

The OEM carbs may do the job but do they comply with emissions regulations? 

• PRO

Colin, had that happen quite a few times - our Tech believes it's linked to known  "Carb problems".
    Several repairs later, we've a Carb on back order for an HS81 to see if it cures it.
    Trouble is, the carbs are OEM are £60-£80 a pop.
    Just FYI - eBay 'copy' Carb is £8 inc gaskets…"

• I had to get one of the plastic collars replaced on the hedge trimmer attachment under warranty. Explained the urgency with jobs waiting and they took 2 weeks! Couldn't for the life of me understand why it took so long for such a big company supplying commercial machines. I'm finding generally that replacing parts is a nightmare.
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Operative

Additional landscape operatives required by commercial soft landscape contractor based in Crondall for immediate start.  Landscape CSCS/CPCS preferable but not essential as full training given.  Competitive salary and advancement opportunities for… Continue

Junior Gardener

JOB BACKGROUND: Do you have high standards?  Are you able to commit to a role and work hard to maintain those high standards?  Are you keen to start a career in the horticultural industry with a company that will support and train you? Our Junior… Continue

Landscaper

Countryside Services is expanding – we have an increasing amount of bespoke, designed gardens on our books and need new staff. Your commitment to us: to be enthusiastically hard working (in all weathers), keen to learn and prepared to work long… Continue

Gardener

Our client is a successful family business with clients in both the residential and commercial sectors. They are now ready for the business’s next stage of expansion. They really are passionate about gardening and landscaping, providing a vast range… Continue

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After being selected as the official mower at the two most recent FIFA World Cup’s in South Africa and Brazil, Dennis Mowers will be the mower of choice for the 2018 tournament in Russia.

The Dennis G860 cylinder mower will have the task…

Read more…