About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Stihl FS 310 Died, Low Compression, Any Ideas?

I was working away this afternoon when my FS 310 suddenly cut out, thinking I'd caught the switch I gave it a pull and it started again but only ran for a few seconds.

I notice there seems to be very little resistance when pull starting it and having taking the plug out there is very little compression, coupled with what I can only describe as a metal sound when I turn over the engine. I've checked the plug and that's fine and sparking, it won't start with air filter off either. It's not flooded and I checked and both vavles are moving freely.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
    Blown piston ring maybe.
    Take exhaust off and check pot best you can with it in one piece.
    May have scouring
    • Thanks Richard, I'll take a look after work this evening.
  • All sorted now, for anyone looking back on this thread or for future for reference it was the valves. One had popped out and although still moving freely it was cause of the trouble. When the gap was checked with a feeler gauge and adjusted I heard it pop back in. Not taking the credit for this myself, it was Ash at Seddon's Garden Machinery, top mechanic!

Drop of fuel in the tank and a full pulls and away he went!

• Interesting............... out of curiosity,  how does a valve "pop out"?

• Not sure, it was working one minute then just cut out. As Ash tightened up the nut on top of the valve earlier we both heard something click back in to place. I had it running for about 10mins this evening without a problem.

• PRO
        Not sure how they do but it's a known issue with the 4 mix engines.
        They can struggle with hot starting too.
This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO

How Do You Qualify A Sales Lead?

I don't know about you, but our phones and emails are starting to get busy with enquiries. I've learned over the years that it's all too easy to answer the phone, arrange a consultation and then spend a couple of hours with a prospective client…

Read more…
Comments: 0