About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

I have been interested in Pellenc electric tools for a little while but the prices are quite a jump from petrol tools.
I recently noticed Stihl have added the AR900 a backpack battery to the power options for their cordless range.
Has anyone used any of these tools and with this bigger battery?
If so what are your thoughts on the build quality and power?

The list prices of each Stihl unit are about half the price of Pellenc equivalents and the AR900 Battery is about £600-700 Vs £1000+ for the Pellencs.

Has anyone had a chance to compare both systems?

Hopefully a bit of competition in this area of the market will lead to lower prices and increase the range of machinery available.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would avoid the Stihl Cordless range for commercial use for now. Although now having a 36v 891wh battery back pack for longer run time, the tools themselves are still just designed for their original weekend warrior use.
    Yes the other options from Pellenc are expensive but the quality and technology is a lot more advanced and specifically built for commercial use, you definitely get what you pay for.
    Why do you think stihl avoid documenting the power output of these tools?
    Pellenc specific Lithium ion and Polymer battery technology's are also lighter and Yes you do notice it even when it’s on your back.
    I've also noticed the crank and rod assembly in the hedge trimmers don't seem to have any needle rollers like those in any other commercial quality trimmer.
    Maybe in the future they will release some commercial grade units to handle the demands of commercial use.

• I've also noticed the crank and rod assembly in the hedge trimmers don't seem to have any needle rollers like those in any other commercial quality trimmer.

Needle bearings are great as they need minimal lubrication however this shouldn't really be a problem if the gearbox is kept well greased.... none of the earlier stihls, before the HS86, used needle bearings.......... my HS85 is still going strong after many years of hard work and a bit of abuse.

• Hi Geoff
    I believe needle rollers also help reduce friction, in turn increasing run time, efficiency and blade noise all very important factors with cordless equipment.
    Don't get me wrong, I think the stihl cordless equipment is great for home users and possibly small businesses, but it should be noted that the equipment was originally designed, marketed and sold for home users until the release of AR900 Battery.
    I may be Pellenc biased, but I did my research before forking out a lot for my hedger, pole hedger, blower, brushcutter, pole chainsaw and 700 Battery .
    Before my purchase I even built a cordless Lithium polymer battery pack and combination style system using a 2200w brushless motor and control system from large scale model aeroplanes.
    I t even had power usage data logging like the Pellenc units. Unfortunately I managed to melt the control unit while using the chainsaw attachment and a few cells in the Lithium Polymer pack started to go bad :-P, it’s then you realise you don’t have the thousands of dollars to spend on design and R&D to get these tools up to commercial grade and you respect the higher cost of quality items.

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…