Forum

PRO

Spork for digging

Just wondered if anyone uses a digging tool called a spork , a cross between a spade and a fork , are there any advantages ,?  I have some very stony beds to weed and improve soil texture . Thanks .

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

Thanks , I try to keep a look out for new tool innovation but it seems unlikely that anyone can re-invent the Fork and Spade when it comes to digging apart from better steel quality perhaps .    

• I bought a Faithful spade, i already have a concreting shovel made by them which i have had for years.  The handles and blade are all steel with a treaded top so you don't wreck your boots. They are well made, got mine on ebay. I think they make forks.  Try below sorry can't make the link work put put that in the bar at the top. A company called manomano sell them.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjL6...

• PRO

i would try a small boarder fork so you are not trying to move as much material in one go and they have a thinner tine profile which should help to penetrate harder soil,

although I work from the other side od the fence nowadays I still have a hand in construction etc and I have found that all current top range spades are about as useful as a plastic spoon and last year managed to snap 2 spear n j £50 spades just digging a soakaway in the garden for the anix I built,

I then went to homebase (to late for my local builders yard ) and found there cheap line of £5 - £9 pound spades and forks etc had almost no flex in the blades compared to the top ones bending in half with ease. and these have outlasted any expensive tools I previously had so I now keep a few in my workshop but I am still on my first one purchased.

there the sovereign range and for some one who digs like me I am shocked it is still going,

gone are the days a spade could be used to chop a brick in half.

• I have three spades.A stainless one which has had a replacement handle for digging over veg borders etc. A curved drainage spade with a long narrow head for levering out large stones and digging out shrubs, this has metal tangs which reach to the top of the shaft and seems indestructible. Also a golden spade from Niwaki which is amazingly light but very strong, it has a pointed blade and seems to move earth faster than any other spade I have used.
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Construction Manager

Job Summary We are an established garden design and build company looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Landscape Construction Manager. This is a hands-on role which involves building high end garden designs and overseeing the on site team.… Continue

Apprentice Landscape Gardeners

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled hard Landscaper

We require an experienced and well-presented landscaper capable of leading a small team. They must have at least 3 years’ experience in a broad range of hard and soft landscaping including paving, decking, groundworks, brick and blockwork,… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs