Forum

PRO

Re-edging tarmac drive

I am re-designing part of tarmac driveway, converting it into a non-vehicular gravelled area with planters. The tarmac area to be gravelled will be excavated, but the remaining area of tarmac will be kept so that it can continue to be used for cars. My question is - what's the best way to attach new edging to the existing cut edge of the tarmac? I assume a concrete haunch for the edging stones, but not clear about how this will then sit against the cut edge of the tarmac. Any ideas?

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
    Hi Alice
    I would cut the existing surface very carefully using an angle grinder/ cut off saw, remove the Tarmac that is not to be used first. Then lay the edging on a sharp sand and cement mix haunching up at the same time with the same mix, this bed would be a minimum of 50-60mm deep and must be on a solid sub grade/ base. If using concrete blocks such as standard rectangular blocks or Tegula then I would butt them up to the newly cut edge, if using an irregular edge such as a cropped sandstone or granite sett then leave a joint and point up.

With a bit more info in terms of materials then we could give you a more specific spec.

Regards

John
    • PRO

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your input, that's appreciated and useful. Yes your point about cutting the tarmac edge cleanly is important - I wasn't sure quite how cleanly it would cut and therefore whether the edging (probably brick pavers laid in a double stretcher) would be able to sit tightly against the cut tarmac edge. But if there are irregularities, you think the edging could be joined to the tarmac with pointing then? 

The foundation base will all be as you say (compacted hardcode etc) for the new area.

Alice

• I would personally use a petrol cut off saw with Tarmac blade and dust suppression. If you have a long stretch then a floor saw would be the better choice as you can generally get a straighter cut.

For the haunching I would use all in ballast in a 3:1 mix. You can use a Tarmac sealer but it isn't that necessary imho.
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Operative

Additional landscape operatives required by commercial soft landscape contractor based in Crondall for immediate start. Landscape CSCS/CPCS preferable but not essential as full training given. Competitive salary and advancement opportunities for the… Continue

Junior Gardener

JOB BACKGROUND: Do you have high standards?  Are you able to commit to a role and work hard to maintain those high standards?  Are you keen to start a career in the horticultural industry with a company that will support and train you? Our Junior… Continue

Landscaper

Countryside Services is expanding – we have an increasing amount of bespoke, designed gardens on our books and need new staff. Your commitment to us: to be enthusiastically hard working (in all weathers), keen to learn and prepared to work long… Continue

Gardener

Our client is a successful family business with clients in both the residential and commercial sectors. They are now ready for the business’s next stage of expansion. They really are passionate about gardening and landscaping, providing a vast range… Continue

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After being selected as the official mower at the two most recent FIFA World Cup’s in South Africa and Brazil, Dennis Mowers will be the mower of choice for the 2018 tournament in Russia.

The Dennis G860 cylinder mower will have the task…

Read more…