Forum

Pruning espallier pear.

Hi guys.I've just been asked to prune a espalier pear which is growing against the gable of an old two story Victorian house. Its growing up past the chimney. It hasn't been done in at least 4 years, maybe longer. I will use a ladder and hand tools. I'm just starting out in this business, and I want to get the quote right. It's in my village so I want to give a fair price. I'm not sure if I can attach a photo here?

Many thanks.

Joe

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Similar to what I was taught in commercial fruit growing, I am slowly learning there seems to be a difference between traditional garden growing and commercial but don't feel experienced enough yet to come to conclusions
        • I've worked on standard fruit trees in an ornamental garden setting that had been Pruned hard in winter to reduce overall tree size by another Gardener and spent the next 2/3 seasons correcting the regrowth.&lt;br/&gt;<br/>
          The principles of pruning requirements are the same,winter pruning will promote growth and summer pruning will restrict it.&lt;br/&gt;<br/>
          If you take the top out in winter you will get a vigorous regrowth come the spring.then you've got to deal with that aswell as the normal seasonal growth.&lt;br/&gt;<br/>
          It's a balancing act for sure.&lt;br/&gt;<br/>
          With out seeing the tree I'd go for cutting out dead damaged diseased wood and thin out existing spurs,remove a 3Rd of the epicormic growth.&lt;br/&gt;<br/>
          Then return in late spring time and take out the top.<br/>
          The old Gardener I took over from. Had spent 50 yrs in the same garden, had loads of restricted forms of pears apples nectarines peaches etc,aswell as being partly responsible for the 50 odd acres of gala planted in the Orchards used to say to me" your growing the tree for fruit so prune according "<br/>
          Where I was as a gardener more concerned with the aesthetics of the tree's.<br/>
          He certainly new his apples and pears the proof was there all around the walls in the half acre walled veg garden.
    • PRO
      Joe

Can you email me the image?
      I’ll pop it into the thread.
      • Hi Phil. I've just used Facebook messenger to send you pictures. Many thanks. Joe
  • PRO

• Spur prune the lower tiers back to this seasons growth thin out top 1/3 rule and return to remove top in spring I'd say.
      Looks like it's been a while since its seen a set of felcro's. Also looks like it may of started our life as a fan trained form.
  • PRO

• Congratulations on the 175, they will need you back a few times to remove the milk shoots about half a day twice in the summer. That's if you brutalise it back to form..
  • PRO

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Construction Manager

Job Summary We are an established garden design and build company looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Landscape Construction Manager. This is a hands-on role which involves building high end garden designs and overseeing the on site team.… Continue

Apprentice Landscape Gardeners

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled hard Landscaper

We require an experienced and well-presented landscaper capable of leading a small team. They must have at least 3 years’ experience in a broad range of hard and soft landscaping including paving, decking, groundworks, brick and blockwork,… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs