Forum

PRO

Petrol pressure washers or a generator and electric?

What petrol pressure washers do people use.? Weighing up the merits of getting a dedicated petrol one or a separate generator to run my older stihl 2kw electric. The generator would have to be 6kw through which gets uneconomical for occasional use.

You need to be a member of Landscaper Network & Forum to add comments!

Join Landscaper Network & Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

Gary,

I'm going on the two dozen contact I have made in the soley pressure cleaning field, albeit I appreciate you don't need a high power machine to do car valeting.

If one was to proceed into driveways, and beyond, i.e. we have picked up 2 x 10,000 sq m, car parks this year, and I know most of the karcher machines wouldn't have come close to the power and efficiency that I needed. 

To run a Floor surface cleaner, yes the size of the jets will dictate what machine and output you are running. But trying and use a FSC on a 13 LPM or 12 LMP machine and you'll going no where.

Some people say 15LPM is no good, with a FSC I tend to disagree, Yes a 21LPM is perfect. Its the output flow that cleans. i.e. the amount of water, and not the pressure that's given.

FLOW is the key to pressure washing, and not Pressure as most people think.

• PRO

Yes, I'm aware - we regularly clean commercial car parks using our equipment so we know what works.

The OP is talking about small/medium works and has already been misled re: Genny size by experts?

If you read my post I was never suggesting you would use a Karcher to do a car park.

The comment re: Valeters was to demonstrate that it is a convenient way to run such a system that is simple, flexible, functional & low cost where you are not doing it full time and typically small/medium works where access may be hard (ie steps).

• PRO

Genny size is not misleading. See my post above.

• Agree with you there Gary ..................... I've one of the higher-end Karchers and it does a great job. I reckon you can still look "professional" even with a mere Karcher:) ......................... doing a great job at a fair price are really the most important things to a customer I reckon.

• PRO
      I have a domestic petrol karcher with yellow FSC. It's actually highly effective this gets used for the small commercial jobs and domestic work.

For the bigger commercial ones like the one I just finished I hire in. £200 for a week for petrol jet wash and FSC attachment. It was only a small FSC but did the job.
  • PRO

If you look back on LJN you will see we hire this from Groundscare Products if we need another machine - take a look and note their specification ie - the psi and flow rate.

I can tell you they work fantastically well and the guys fight for that over our 13hp and separate FSC. It's quick and easier on the hands and back.

It's the combo of pressure and flow that counts ...if not, you could use a hosepipe & jet ...

.....there is always more than one way to skin a cat.............. :)

• PRO
    Like with many other subjects looks like there isn't a definite answer. Just as long as I know where I need it, will it make my work easier and better and will I get a return on my investment.
  • After years of tangled cables and hose, last month we purchased Karcher HD 801 petrol pressure washer - love it.  

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscaper needed…

Employer: Abbeyfield

Job Type: Full Time

Abbeyfield Landscapes are a Southwest based landscape/maintenance company are looking for skilled hard landscaper to join our friendly and… Continue

Apprentice Gardener

Employer: James' Gardens

Job Type: Full Time

Apprentice Gardener Required at a garden maintenance business based in Handbridge.  You would ideally have some horticultural experience and be… Continue

Lawn Maintenance Operative

Employer: Country Garden Croyde ltd

Job Type: Self Employed

We are looking for a hard working, self employed person to run our grass cutting & lawn maintenance round. A… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

Project aims to grow a 'city of trees'

A project aims to plant three million trees - one for every man, woman and child - in Greater Manchester over the next 25 years.

Those behind City of Trees hopes the effort will not only green the region but improve our understanding…

Read more…
Comments: 0

Start a landscaping business