Forum

National Insurance Contributions........

What do you guys think about the Budget's announcement yesterday about the 1% rise in Class 4 NI for the Self Employed? This will take effect from April this year and another 1% from next April '18. I can see both sides of the argument and with the increase in Council Tax, Business rates, increase in inflation, increase in machinery etc, all these 'little' increases will make our lives a little harder.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sorry Richard just having a bit of  moan.  Went it to pay some money the other day and there was all the usual non workers there for their handouts, all with the latest smartphones and trainers being rude to the staff and demanding things.

Jes

• PRO

I think it's simply a big headline-grabbing distraction tactic that has a 50/50 chance of happening in the end anyway.

Notice how the entire national conversation is focused on this one relatively small issue, and not the stripped of housing benefit from young adults, more disability benefit cuts, and another corporate tax cut? 

• PRO

I think that those who are not self-employed are under a massive illusion about National Insurance.

Class 4 contributions or tax on profit, has nothing to do with our personal contributions as per Class 1, where they are relevant for our Pension, Sick Pay, & JSA , etc or whatever name they now have

Class 2 contributions only allow us to get a pension.

So my question, if Class 2 is being dis-continued, how will make our yearly contributions for our basic state pension?

• PRO

As I understand most insurance payments made now, whilst allowing people to claim benefit, essentially pay for people who are already pensioners... it is the projected shortfall in the volumes of people who are yet to retire versus the diminishing numbers of taxpayers in the future.. lies the real issue.

What we pay now, we think is for us, but it's not, it's for our parents & grand-parents,  it is our children and their children who will pay our pensions & benefits, hence the reason why the % of tax in the £ needs to increase.

• PRO
    U-turn over Budget plan to increase National Insurance

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39278968

• Good news. Of course many will say it's a sign of weakness, but others will say it shows strength to realise that you may have just got it wrong and have the guts to do something about it sharpish!

• I agree. It shows that both May and Hammond do listen to their backbenchers and the public too.

We can expect to be hit with an increase in 2021 if the Tories are still in power.....
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Operative

Additional landscape operatives required by commercial soft landscape contractor based in Crondall for immediate start.  Landscape CSCS/CPCS preferable but not essential as full training given.  Competitive salary and advancement opportunities for… Continue

Junior Gardener

JOB BACKGROUND: Do you have high standards?  Are you able to commit to a role and work hard to maintain those high standards?  Are you keen to start a career in the horticultural industry with a company that will support and train you? Our Junior… Continue

Landscaper

Countryside Services is expanding – we have an increasing amount of bespoke, designed gardens on our books and need new staff. Your commitment to us: to be enthusiastically hard working (in all weathers), keen to learn and prepared to work long… Continue

Gardener

Our client is a successful family business with clients in both the residential and commercial sectors. They are now ready for the business’s next stage of expansion. They really are passionate about gardening and landscaping, providing a vast range… Continue

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After being selected as the official mower at the two most recent FIFA World Cup’s in South Africa and Brazil, Dennis Mowers will be the mower of choice for the 2018 tournament in Russia.

The Dennis G860 cylinder mower will have the task…

Read more…