Forum

National Insurance Contributions........

What do you guys think about the Budget's announcement yesterday about the 1% rise in Class 4 NI for the Self Employed? This will take effect from April this year and another 1% from next April '18. I can see both sides of the argument and with the increase in Council Tax, Business rates, increase in inflation, increase in machinery etc, all these 'little' increases will make our lives a little harder.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Personally  I am not that bothered about the rise, not enough to make too much of an impact and happy to pay for more services a.

I am however really angry of the excuse given in statements regarding fairness in comparison to the employed, Employed people do not have the overheads and stress that a self employed contractor has. Who ever dreamed up this statement is fully out of touch. The employed have it far too easy in comparison and don't put half the hours in for twice the pay.. in relation to working hours... if your employed and doubt me, have a chat over a beer with a mate who has his own self employed landscaping business.... ow hang on he probably is at work until 8pm every night so wont have time! 

• PRO
      Most of what is being said is irrelevant, it is purely a matter of state benefits being comparable between those who are employed and the self employed if they are paying a comparable rate.

However a full and detailed newspaper article is required reading before making comments based on emotions and misfounded beliefs.

Try this one https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/mar/11/self-employed-pay-mor...

Andy B
      • PRO

Our comments are irrelevant ? If not, to whom is that comment directed ?

Newspapers ? Maybe, but depending on their political leaning they can be misleading in their presentation of 'facts'. Far better would be to trust more "independent" sources.

Quote:

"Andrew Betteridge March 11, 2017 at 11:02am

Most of what is being said is irrelevant, it is purely a matter of state benefits being comparable between those who are employed and the self employed if they are paying a comparable rate.

However a full and detailed newspaper article is required reading before making comments based on emotions and misfounded beliefs.

Try this one https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/mar/11/self-employed-pay-mor...

Andy B"

• PRO
          I agree with that. I think you need to read a variety of sources on anything like this to pick out what the truth actually is. The newspapers are all as bad as each other in glossing over facts they don't like and pushing the ones they do!
  • PRO

In a debt based, fiat money system ( which the entire world is subject to) taxation of any kind is simply a mechanism for transferring the wealth of the people back into the hands of those that created the rigged system in the first place. The vast majority of the populous are unable to spot this sleight of hand trick because their perspective,thoughts and opinions are moulded and fashioned by external programmes such as the education system,T.V and the mainstream media etc. These institutions are all controlled by the same entities running the fiat money scam. So in a sense,commenting and debating on what's right and wrong,fair or unfair with regards to how we are taxed is avoiding the elephant in the room somewhat I feel.

• PRO

I can't disagree with what you say , distractions do have a habit of averting our attention away from the elephant in the room but sometimes we fear if we know too much we can end up with a visit from the men in black :-) . 

On a positive note we can at least choose how we react and hopefully with good intention and optimism it will have a positive ripple affect somewhere in the world :-)

• PRO
        Life's short, live and make as much of it as you can without getting tied up in issues you can do little about....
        • PRO

See,I strongly disagree with that stance and I'd go as far as saying that it's dangerous.

In a world where naivete,stupidity and ignorance are the source of all suffering and hardships,how can further ignorance be any kind of solution?

I think we should question everything always,it's our duty and responsibility to do so for the sake of ourselves,the planet and those who will inhabit it after we're gone. If we don't then nobody else is going to.

For me,developing an understanding of  some of the mechanics of this experience has given me a foot up the ladder to far greater insight and understanding of things that were previously incomprehensible.I don't consider myself to be 'tied up' just empowered and better positioned to help myself and to help others which is what it's all about.

Clarity,transparency and the bigger picture Gary - I know these are things you hold in high regard : )

• PRO
            I do, but have seen many with distorted, righteous views who end up bitter.

No where did i suggest naivety, stupidity or ignorance are they way forward but you can end up worrying about issues you can not affect rather than putting efforts into your life, relationships, businesses etc but by all means try to understand them.

I know not your personal position, political or religious beliefs but I've lived my life to enjoy and am well into the 2nd half of my life.

I simply say, pick your battles.

I'll leave it there but I'm more than happy in my life ( like a lot of others I suspect ).
            • PRO
              That's odd I agree with all of that:)
              Must have eaten something funny yesterday!

More seriously though there is absolutely no point in worrying about things you can't change as all the will do is drive yourself and everyone around mad and sad:(
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Experience Gardener

Employer: The Botanical Gardener

Job Type: Full Time

EXPERIENCED GARDENER  The Botanical Gardener is a rapidly growing, well respected, Design & Build, Garden Maintenance &… Continue

Yard Foreman (Nursery)

Employer: Palmbrokers

Job Type: Full Time

Yard foreman Full time yard foreman required to join our team at our busy and unique 7 acre nursery at farnham royal in berkshire… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

mobile ads

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs