Forum

Replies

• PRO
        Because it needs to be fairly short when you cut it or you just leave a horrible mess!
        • PRO

OK get it now. Would you say that mulching when the growth is slower and removing when faster is the way around the cutting frequency issue?

• PRO
            In short probably.
            You can mulch all the time if you do it often enough!
            Getting people to pay for it often enough to work all the time is another thing entirely!
            I always mulch nearly everything come July/ august as it dry and it helps the grass stay green
      • I mulched for a whole season a couple of years ago and gave it up. The grass clippings get broken down and act as compost. When you think you can take two or three bin bags off a lawn every cut and imagine it feeding the grass. On a fortnightly schedule it can become too much and the grass gets very green and lush. <br/>
        I do however much for the first four weeks and then from mid august when the grass is not growing like the clappers.
    • PRO

so you'd go for a 21 and 172??

• PRO
    Here in the sunny North West I would have an Etesia Duocut which will do wet weather better than anything else and a 21" Viking or possibly the weibang with a roller for that stripe finish.
  • PRO

Hi Ian, good to hear from you post meeting. The budget mowers will maybe see you through a season, maybe 18 months. Just make sure its got at least a B&S engine. I started with an old Hayter Harrier 41cm with roller and bought a new gardencare 53cm SP 4 wheel 3 in 1 ( pickup / mulch / side discharge with rubber rear skirt) for just under £400. These saw me through the first season and then once I had an idea of the lawns I was actually doing and what my customers wanted, I then added accordingly. Next was a 21" roller (Honda KAAS), then a dedicated mulcher (Husqy) etc. Still have a gardencare, but not the orginal. Great cheap all-rounder.

So partially comes does to how much you have to spend, but get the customers first and listen to them, then augment your mowing fleet. So, start small and shall we say value/2nd hand.

• PRO

thanks Andy for your guidance. Great to meet you at the event too. Nice to put a face to a name

• PRO
    Roller. Have both but the roller gets far more use (even if it weighs a ton. See weibang thread)
  • PRO

Hi Ian , It's the izy with a rubber strip , It leaves a decent finish and quite a versatile machine .

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Experienced Grounds Maintence operative

Employer: IH MOWING LTD

Job Type: Full Time

An opportunity to join an expanding Grounds Maintenance Company based in Warwickshire. The ideal candidate will have experience and Knowledge of… Continue

Skilled Landscaper

Employer: Abbeyfield Landscapes

Abbeyfield Landscapes is a Southwest Landscaping and ground maintenance company and we are looking for a dedicated landscaper to… Continue

Skilled landscaper

Employer: Brett Hardy Landscapes Ltd

Skilled landscaper required to join our team working for a busy & expanding garden design & landscaping company. We are a proud… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs