Forum

Loads of little grey/black worms in a lawn

Hi everyone

One of my customers next door neighbours has patches all over his lawn of three quarter inch long grey/black worms, they are about 2mm round.  There are thousands of them and the birds don't seem to be eating them.  They're not leatherjackets as they are too small.  Does anyone have any ideas - have Googled problem but most chemical controls for worms seem to be banned now and I wouldn't want to be putting stuff down as he has a dog and a young grandchild.  Any pointers in the right direction would be great.

 

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

  • PRO

    Hi Paula

     

    They look like maggots to me.

  • Although small you may find they are leatherjackets. 

    At this time of year Crane Fly larva that hatched in August and September may still be small. The Larva can vary in size between 2cm when young and growing to 4cm. 

    There is a biological eelworm treatment for leather jackets but I think its too cold now to be effective.

    http://www.nemasysinfo.com/leatherjackets.shtml

     

    Good luck

     

  • I thought that Philip but there is nothing for them to feed on?



    Philip Voice said:

    Hi Paula

     

    They look like maggots to me.


  • Thanks Tanya, wouldn't you have thought that birds would eat them though?  If thats what they are hopefully they will sort themselves out and disappear eventually.


    Tanya Batkin said:

    Although small you may find they are leatherjackets. 

    At this time of year Crane Fly larva that hatched in August and September may still be small. The Larva can vary in size between 2cm when young and growing to 4cm. 

    There is a biological eelworm treatment for leather jackets but I think its too cold now to be effective.

    http://www.nemasysinfo.com/leatherjackets.shtml

     

    Good luck

     

  • PRO

    I will try and get a picture over the weekend of these - Ive seen a lot in a compost heap at a customers property. Not a clue otherwise.

  • Looks like could be Bibionid flies to me although at first glance they do look more like maggots as i dont think bibionid flies have 'legs'

     

    Either way dont understand why birds arent feasting.

  • Hi Jim

    I'm not back at my customer's till late next week, hoping they might have been eaten by then!  If they are still there i'll take another photo, i'll put one on a white piece of paper and hopefully it'll be easier to see.

    GL Services said:

    Looking closely they look like they have a hair structure on them which when you first look you think legs.
    Any chance of a nice close up photo showing top and bottom of grub.


    Jim Davidson said:

    Looks like could be Bibionid flies to me although at first glance they do look more like maggots as i dont think bibionid flies have 'legs'

     

    Either way dont understand why birds arent feasting.

  • I've not come across Bibionid flies so had a Google, from what I can see I think you're spot on.

    Glad to learn something new :)

    Jim Davidson said:

    Looks like could be Bibionid flies to me although at first glance they do look more like maggots as i dont think bibionid flies have 'legs'

     

    Either way dont understand why birds arent feasting.

  • I googled it to, looks like thats what they are.  Thanks Jim

    Tanya Batkin said:

    I've not come across Bibionid flies so had a Google, from what I can see I think you're spot on.

    Glad to learn something new :)

    Jim Davidson said:

    Looks like could be Bibionid flies to me although at first glance they do look more like maggots as i dont think bibionid flies have 'legs'

     

    Either way dont understand why birds arent feasting.

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscaper

HortiServices Ltd are well respected Professional Landscapers in South Cambridgeshire, providing design, installation and maintenance services. Our success can be attributed to the loyalty of our customers, high quality of our work and our… Continue

Hard Landscaper

We are looking for an experienced worker to join our hard landscaping team. Projects will include patios, dwarf walls, decking, fencing and related activities. You will be happy to work on your own or with other members of the team, as the size of… Continue

Yard Foreman / Delivery Driver Machinery Installer

Yard Foreman & Delivery / Installation Specialist Working with a team of dedicated hard working enthusiasts in the Grass & Groundcare machinery industry the successful applicant will be responsible for scheduling deliveries and collections,… Continue

Landscape Construction Manager

Job Summary We are an established garden design and build company looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Landscape Construction Manager. This is a hands-on role which involves building high end garden designs and overseeing the on site team.… Continue

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs

PRO Supplier

Etesia UK Dealers Visit Factory in Wissembourg

Etesia UK dealers recently visited the company’s HQ and factory in Wissembourg, France to see their state-of-art factory and production line.

More than 15 dealers, made up of new and existing companies, took part in three days of visits…

Read more…