Forum

PRO

Lawn drainage

Hi, Looking for opinions regarding lawn drainage.

We have quoted for a complete garden makeover including drainage for the lawn (320m2)

Client complains that grass is uneven, wet with poor drainage and very mossy hence the drainage. Now to keep in budget i was thinking about proposing to leave the drainage out? and kill existing  grass/moss rotovate it and bring in good topsoil and turf? with an on going maintenance programme.

I am trying to convince them to get a gardener in once the work is finish as i am not sure if they will maintain it. I hate to see a garden that has not been looked after by clients especially after spending a lot of money on the makeover. The gardener could aerated feed etc to keep grass decent aiding in the drainage.

Thoughts.

Cheers

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO Supplier

If its not clay, at the very least I think you need to get rid of that compacted layer if they wont go for drainage or you are just delaying the inevitable. Good topsoil will help establish the new lawn quicker and get it off to a healthy start but a compacted layer (as you said its an older property) is akin to adding soil to a plastic tub then adding water.....deep aeration and backfilling  hollow cores with a porous sandy material will help massively. 

Yes, it will need aftercare as lower light/ temperatures will encourage moss but liming should only be done where you've identified the pH as properly acidic or you will cause more problems in the long run for grass growth...

• PRO

Re acidity, you're also bringing in topsoil and mixing that in, so pH tests beforehand meaningless. I used to test pH test every lawn and had pHs from 5.0 to 9.0, with all having grass groing happilly. Just because it's acidic does not mean there will be more moss; sure moss likes acidity, but shade and poor drainage should be fixed first.

From the basic description, the compaction is pointing to being a big problem, so as progreen are mentioning, breaking through that layer with capillary tubes (sand filled) would be a good start. Google air blast aeration to get an  idea.

• PRO

I spent two weeks in Bearsden and it rained heavily every day no wonder it's water logged . 

Had a similar problem on a wide sloping stretch of grass which was helped but not cured by digging long trenches with a mini digger and inserting poly pipe drilled with holes and packed with pea gravel but the cause of the water logging was underground springs but it did help . 

Also the area allowed for planting of a weeping willow which also helped absorb surplus water ,

Is the area in question below a raised area or on a gradient is the garden terraced ? 

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Experienced Grounds Maintence operative

Employer: IH MOWING LTD

Job Type: Full Time

An opportunity to join an expanding Grounds Maintenance Company based in Warwickshire. The ideal candidate will have experience and Knowledge of… Continue

Skilled Landscaper

Employer: Abbeyfield Landscapes

Abbeyfield Landscapes is a Southwest Landscaping and ground maintenance company and we are looking for a dedicated landscaper to… Continue

Skilled landscaper

Employer: Brett Hardy Landscapes Ltd

Skilled landscaper required to join our team working for a busy & expanding garden design & landscaping company. We are a proud… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs