Forum

PRO

Has anyone used a low-end laser distance meter (i.e £50 or less model) to do exterior linear measurements? Are they any good up to say, 30 meters? Do they work well enough in bright light?

I'd like to move on from a surveyors' tape measure but don't want to shell out £300 on an all singing/dancing Leica laser model.

I'm normally surveying residential sites up to 30- 50 linear meters at a time. Any recommendations?

You need to be a member of Landscaper Network & Forum to add comments!

Join Landscaper Network & Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
    I doubt they would be much use. A Leica disto d510 is fantastic. It has a small camera with x4 mag in case you can't see the dot. This is the basic Leica outdoor one and you still lose the dot in bright conditions
    • PRO

Thanks for your input - appreciated!

• PRO
        The app you get with Bluetooth disto models is really handy as you can sketch out the site and add dimensions at the same time :)
        • PRO

Thanks, that's really useful. I'm not yet ready to spend £300+ though. I see there are less expensive Leica disto models - around £80-1£100 - would these be any improvement on my 30m tape measure?

• PRO
            They are only classed as indoor models.

The x310 might be worth a try?

I got mine from merlin lazer. Found them to be cheapest authoriesed dealer.
  • PRO

I borrowed a relatively inexpensive Bosch (I think) laser measure to see if it was usable.

Gave it back.

• PRO

Yes I think this seems to be the general view on the low end models! Thanks that's helpful.

• PRO

I looked into this awhile ago, and found a lot of praise for  Excelvan® Laser Distance Meter with Bubble Level Rangefinder Range Finder Tape measure 60m(192ft)

reading reviews on Amazon, showed it was useful outdoors

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KL5XRPE?colid=1X1BPBOSXOWGF&a...

• PRO

Thanks - sorry only just seen this. Reviews seem to suggest it is pretty good -  generally usable outside but may not be great in direct sunlight over longer distances. Since our weather is generally quite variable I think it'll do fine! Thanks for sending the link.

• This laser distance meter range up to 40m. http://amzn.to/1jXPF5J

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscaper needed…

Employer: Abbeyfield

Job Type: Full Time

Abbeyfield Landscapes are a Southwest based landscape/maintenance company are looking for skilled hard landscaper to join our friendly and… Continue

Apprentice Gardener

Employer: James' Gardens

Apprentice Gardener Required at a garden maintenance business based in Handbridge.  You would ideally have some horticultural experience and be… Continue

Lawn Maintenance Operative

Employer: Country Garden Croyde ltd

Job Type: Self Employed

We are looking for a hard working, self employed person to run our grass cutting & lawn maintenance round. A… Continue

Experienced Landscaper Warrington £30,000

Employer: Kirman Designs

We are looking for a skilled, professional, motivated and enthusiastic Landscaper with experience, and good customer service skills. This… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

Start a landscaping business