About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

PRO

A landscaper who illegally dumped garden waste and paving slabs in Thetford Forest must pay more than £2,800, after an eagle-eyed council officer spotted him months after the event.

Bill Watts, of B&M Landscapes, admitted to flytipping commercial waste including tree cuttings and bushes when he appeared at Norwich Magistrates’ Court on April 29.

Watts, 30, from Marlingford, was caught last year by a Forestry Commission-owned digital camera installed at the spot he dumped the waste, with images showing his van marked with the B&M Landscapes livery.

But with his license plate not being visible in the images, and the business not being listed in the phone directory, the council had difficulty tracking Watts down.

Read full article: http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/landscaper_fined_2_800_for_dumping_waste_in_thetford_forest_after_council_officer_spots_van_on_road_months_later_1_4071872

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good job! I cannot stand fly tippers

• Its always good to see people being held accountable! I always point out to clients about waste disposal, and the process of it! 

• Sad to see a proper business fly-tipping. Even if he was hard to track down!

Unfortunately most fly-tippers are "untraceable", and even if you found them would move on before the court case. When the Government increase the official tipping charges to us professionals, we drive the customer to cheaper options. These are the fly-tippers, so the council tax payers have to fund clearing it up!

It would be so much better (and cheaper) to have all waste delivered to a recycling centre for free. Hazardous waste could be dealt with, no more matresses at the side of the road?

• Your right is is sad!

Something has to be done as they way it stands we are driving it to happen more!
    • Totally agree Paul regarding the free recycling.

What continually amazes me is that local councils not only expect us to sort all recycling, clean it and place it in applicable containers unless it will not get collected, and then charge us for waste collection via council tax.....& finally sell all recyclable objects (cans/alu/plastic etc) for profit!

This is true of my local council regarding green waste. I am charged x amount to dump completely recyclable green waste which is then composted and sold on.

Yes there are costs to recycling, but to charge higher and higher prices for the responsible & those that can afford to use green waste amenities, will only see a rise in this sort of thing for those that aren't so responsible due mainly to the costs involved with dispatching green waste.

• PRO

Anyone living in the BBC South Today region, check out Inside Out this evening.

There's an undercover report about illegal tipping. 

Whilst much of the content will focus on builders' waste, what caught my attention was that of the 335 firms that advertised to remove waste, which were investigated for the programme, only 154 firms were licensed.

• PRO

How do you stop fly-tipping and littering?

The scourge of fly-tipping across England is getting worse with councils spending more than £67m to clean up public land and prosecute anyone they catch, according to official figures. So what should be done about the problem?

From old mattresses and fridges to tyres and masonry - and even coffins and live turtles - almost a million incidents of rubbish dumped illegally are recorded each year.

Councils have been given new powers to fine people up to £400 for "smaller" offences, but this depends on evidence. It has left local authorities having to consider new ways to clamp down on those who illegally dump their waste - or try to persuade them not to do it in the first place.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-37350153

• PRO

Badly thought out revenue generating schemes by the local authorities do not help the situation :

• Our local Council tip is on a 'one way' industrial estate near to me.  The estate has two builders merchants, timber merchants, plumbing supplies, a hundred or so small units and a 'multi national' employing 1,000+.  The tip opens on the dot at 8am - guess what the traffic is like on a Monday morning - log jammed by the queue to the tip while everyone else is trying to go about their business. The tip also now shuts on Thursdays (to save money!), but how many cars still turn up packed to the gunwales, with their drivers standing scratching their heads.  

Yes fly tipping is a crime against us all, but, goodness me, they don't make it easy for Mr and Mrs Joe Public.

• Good to see someone in the net! Fly tipping is a scourge in this area and although green waste isn't as hazardous or such an eyesore as other stuff, it is the thin end of the wedge when it comes to tipping. I've even changed one of the places I park up for a sandwich as someone regularly tips there illegally and I don't want to be seen or connected in any way.

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…