About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Kubota GR2120

Quick question on the cutting deck of the Kubota gr2120 mower. Today while cutting I noticed smoke coming from my cutting deck, I removed the deck and dismantled the cover to find the pulleys & belts jammed packed with grass, the grass had dried and with the tight confines and friction had started to catch light and smoking. Took me just over an hour to remove the deck, open, clean it out and reassemble. And it's not easy lifting this tractor and reassembling the deck! Kubota have been informed and I'm awaiting a call from their technical department. Not something I want to happen again. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I'm currently only on 25hrs of operation.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Does it not state in the Manual about checking every so often for a build up of grass? Usually daily, 25 or 50 hours from what I have seen on other machines
  • It's impossible to check on a regular basis as the deck needs to be removed from machine to access the bolts to remove the cover.
  • PRO

As an aside, you can normally tip them over 45deg onto a tyre or something similar to get access to under deck (that's how we change blades on our Etesia's), otherwise consider a side-tiltling service ramp for use back at base (not expensive).

• I've got a tipping device to service blades. However the area in question is on top of the deck and covered in a metal housing.
    • PRO

Ah, ok :) So all the pulleys/belts are enclosed above the deck ?

Any chance you can blow clear ?

Otherwise, yes can see your problem !!

• You can see the deck removed from the tractor. The metal on top is bolted on and you need to remove the bolts and 3 sections of metal housing to get access to the pulleys and belts below. Theres no way to see in or get access other than removing the covers.

3314744787?profile=originalOn the picture below you can see the build up of grass within the housing.

3314743477?profile=original

3314742207?profile=originalAnd once thoroughly cleaned and blown clear with my leaf blower

3314739100?profile=original

3314743275?profile=original

• PRO

Yep, can appreciate the hassle now.....

I wonder is this a recent H&S 'change' ? I'm sure I remember that most under-slung Kubota' decks had open or semi-open deck tops. Will be interesting to hear the responses from your Dealer or Kubota on that issue

• No doubt it will be due to H&S to stop some drunken yob sticking their fingers in it! Same as the stupid button you now need to press if you want to reverse with the cutting deck still running, in the off chance someone has run up behind you and lain down in the split seconds it takes to depress the reverse pedal!

• This reply was deleted.
    • I guess we can call the older  ones 'peek a boo' deck covers as there's a hole for the nipple.

• I cant make my mind up if some of these changes are for H&S reasons or to make it dealer fixable only? Or In the case of nipples enabling them to sell them in the middle east.
This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…