Forum

PRO

I had a Google alert come through this morning for a garden maintenance company selling their services via Groupon - see link: http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/peterborough/ds-landscaping/3588123

Is selling garden services via Groupon a viable proposition?

You need to be a member of Landscaper Network & Forum to add comments!

Join Landscaper Network & Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

Living Social is a far better deal site than Groupon.

If you are canny and work it to your advantage is can work out to be fairly profitable and depending upon how you manage the clients, you can and should convert a good percentage to convert to regular full paying clients.

These deals work best for quick services such as lawn feeds and hopefully the area you cover is fairly compact.

I did a Groupon spring lawn feed deal with the primary aim to get more established in one particular town, secondary aim was to make a small profit. Yes it worked and I did quite well thank you particularly with picking up additional work. The number of hits on the web site that was set up just for the Groupon deal was out of this world and I still getting enquiries one year later!

Would I do it again? I don't believe Groupon is the best vehicle to use but I might just be tempted but if you have an advertising budget then other methods will get similar if not better results.

Finally, yes it is true, their are a lot of groupon junkies, I reckon 25% of the people who brought my deal only use Groupon for anything they can, from oven cleaning, car servicing and valeting, window cleaning - you name it they will buy it if it appears to be a good deal. These people will never buy a repeat service from you at the regular price!

• PRO

Living Social services have been suspended in France.

The site was hacked at the beginning of the year and 50 million customer records were hacked.

Graeme @ BGS said:

Living Social is a far better deal site than Groupon.

If you are canny and work it to your advantage is can work out to be fairly profitable and depending upon how you manage the clients, you can and should convert a good percentage to convert to regular full paying clients.

These deals work best for quick services such as lawn feeds and hopefully the area you cover is fairly compact.

I did a Groupon spring lawn feed deal with the primary aim to get more established in one particular town, secondary aim was to make a small profit. Yes it worked and I did quite well thank you particularly with picking up additional work. The number of hits on the web site that was set up just for the Groupon deal was out of this world and I still getting enquiries one year later!

Would I do it again? I don't believe Groupon is the best vehicle to use but I might just be tempted but if you have an advertising budget then other methods will get similar if not better results.

Finally, yes it is true, their are a lot of groupon junkies, I reckon 25% of the people who brought my deal only use Groupon for anything they can, from oven cleaning, car servicing and valeting, window cleaning - you name it they will buy it if it appears to be a good deal. These people will never buy a repeat service from you at the regular price!

• PRO

How small business owners fell out of love with deal websites
    https://www.theguardian.com/small-business-network/2017/jan/05/how-...

• PRO

Interesting - I've run 3 such deals, All for lawn care;
      They all worked at bringing in work and lost some money, about 5/hour for each hour covered as clients were typically wanting extras and far more than on offer, the marketing was to blame here.

Converted between 20-30% of all into regular clients, of which half stayed more than a year, and most are still with me 2-3 years on.

Works out about on par with all other advertising at the end of the day, But it IS alot quicker with results within weeks not months.

The shift to more and more "value" on these sites means I wont do it again, the emphasis attracts lower income clients, tenbob's, and people who want a good service for nothing - you get complaints from about 1/3 of clients that 6 months later their lawn is back to crap - they didnt take the regular service, and then one of the companies refunded them the money as they expected a moss-lawn to be permanently renovated in one visit.
      This company had the gaul to tell me I had to refund them the £15...

• PRO

Do the people taking up the groupon deal put pressure on the vendor to fulfill their obligation asap ?  Instant gratification tends to run alongside discounted pricing , I can't see how this is workable in our industry , Complaints from 1/3 of clients seems really high .

• PRO

I looked at Groupon a few years ago but because I was just a one man outfit they would not let me advertise. However I did do the same offer I would have had on groupon in the form of leaflets and local newspaper. I got a reasonable uptake but the quality of customer was not good. I don't think I have a single customer from the advertiseing campaign still with me. Most just had one treatment some maybe 2.

So in a way groupon saved me from a lot of work and some fickle customers. Its not something I will do or offer again.

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Lawn Maintenance Operative

Employer: Country Garden Croyde ltd

Job Type: Self Employed

We are looking for a hard working, self employed person to run our grass cutting & lawn maintenance round. A… Continue

Experienced Landscaper Warrington £30,000

Employer: Kirman Designs

Job Type: Full Time

We are looking for a skilled, professional, motivated and enthusiastic Landscaper with experience, and good customer service skills. This… Continue

Landscaper and Assistant

Employer: West Essex Landscapes

Landscaper required with practical experience of patios, brickwork and decking for projects in the West Essex and North… Continue

Lawn Care Operative (full time)

Employer: Lawn Master

Based near Horsham, West Sussex, we are looking for an enthusiastic new member to join our team. This job will suit someone who likes to be… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

Start a landscaping business