Forum

Replies

• Leaflet drops can be effective if they are done right, but they can also be a great waste of money if the correct marketing practices have not been used, ie, the 4P's.

Also, the amount of response you get from a leaflet drop is not the only figure that matters as these responders are now "Leads", and Leads have to be converted to "clients", and it's this figure that really matters. A typical "Client" conversion rate from a well prepared leaflet drop is about 0.02% which is about one new customer per 5000 leaflets dropped.

Depending on the area you are leaflet dropping, to have 5000 leaflets printed and dropped will cost about £150, so that is the price of obtaining one new customer. However, with the use of technology and automated software client conversion rates can be higher. 

• PRO

Adrian,

my leaflet campaign from a couple of years ago and the year before that got customer returns of 1 in 1000 - for paired delivery, gps tracked, non post office, domestic only, no flats, higher end post codes. Single delivered by our people in a more clover-leafing fashtion (ie around existing customers) gets better results of around 1 in 300.

• Im busy designing my own leaflet right now. Im ok on photoshop, not a pro by any means but they should look ok.
      However all the figures given here are putting me off. I was going for 5000 leaflets, thinking it would get me enough work for a one man business. Its a lot of effort, designing, getting them printed and then delivering all for 1 or 2 customers.
      Im not sure how many customers i would need for a one man lawn/maintenance business but definately more than 2 lol.
    • I agree that you can get higher conversion rates, but it very much depends on what you are offering the potential customer and what you are seeking in return.

However if you can get one good profitable customer for every 300 leaflets delivered, I think that every company / business would be leaflet pushing all the time.

I have been involved with leaflet distribution for many years and have found that to get good quality customers that return a good profit margin, you need to have a good leaflet design, a good printer, a good distribution company, and a healthy gross profit margin.

• PRO

Many different conversion rates here - and the consideration is this.

What is it you are offering? Is it a niche, will defined offering of an established business, or are you picking up work from several markets?

In the early days I was happy to pick up all aspects of garden maintenance to get me going, and an open ended flyer got me a call for every 300-400. 

More in line with Andrew's numbers, I'm now closer to 750-1000 with a well defined business model. I had flyers posted mid-summer, but spring is the time for the optimal hit. What I'm trying to predict is what I'm going to have to handle come spring... 

• Im new, just starting out. I do all gardening work except trees, i will leave that to the pro's.
      I'l take pretty much anything to get up and running.
      Im still in my job as a gardener for our local council so will be doing the 2 alongside each other until i can go it alone.
      • Del, my advice is to build up your business by words of mouth by doing your day job with the council and work the evenings/ weekends. It's hard going as I did this myself but the main advantage is that you can pitch the price you want to go for in the future whilst still in full employment.
  • PRO

Del, why would you think 5000 would be sufficient? There's plenty of data on here to the contrary. For lawn care I put out 150k in my first season - that kept me quite busy!

• Ive not really looked into flyers as i was going to go door to door. But then thought if people were out, i could pop a flyer thru the door.

Im just aiming for garden maintenance work, mowing, strimming, hedge cutting, border work just for a one man business.
      I couldnt afford 150k flyers lol.
  • PRO

Fair enough Del. My advice would be join the BOG; will be the best £40 investment you ever make. Lots of info on there for you to search through in threads on how to start-up, gain customers, address marketing etc

This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Garden maintenance operatives – full and part time – Tunbridge Wells area

Experienced gardeners – start a new and exciting career in 2018 Work in the Tunbridge Wells, Uckfield, Lewes and surrounding areas – 7 hour working days Full time – up to £26k, holidays, tools supplied Self employed,  £14.28 – £15.71 per hour Are you an experienced and/or qualified gardener looking for a new and

Landscaper

HortiServices Ltd are well respected Professional Landscapers in South Cambridgeshire, providing design, installation and maintenance services. Our success can be attributed to the loyalty of our customers, high quality of our work and our willingness to go the full mile for our clients. Due to our successful growth we are recruiting for landscaper/landscape labourer to

Hard Landscape Foreman

You will have at least 3 years’ experience of running domestic landscaping projects with project values ranging from 20k-150k, producing work on time to an exceptional standard. Key skills: – ·         Proficient at all aspects of hard and soft landscaping with experience of working with a wide range of materials and budgets. ·         A very

Experienced Landscape Gardener

We are seeking an experienced hard landscaper to join our growing team. The prospective candidate must be proficient and experienced in, patios, decking, stone and brick walling, using site levels and familiar with drainage and be able to work from site drawings/plans. Must be able to work unaided and/or as part of a team.

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs

PRO Supplier

Cold Start Kick Starts Edgbaston’s Greens

Eddie Mills, Course Manager at Edgbaston Golf Club in Birmingham, believes that his fully integrated iTurf programme has helped him maintain his particularly stubborn clay-based greens to an exceptional standard.

Established in 1896,…

Read more…