About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

Honda GCV160 Easy Start ... NOT!!

Had the 16" Izy for couple months now and initially very happy, however starting seems to be becoming temperamental. It sometimes feels like it doesn't want to turn over ... Feeling stiff on the pull. If i wait 5 or 10minutes seems to then fire up .. begrudgingly. Any ideas please folks?? ... Is it flooding?? .. Is there a knack I'm missing. Can happen first job of day and well into the day.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
    The newer ones are more awkward but easy when you get it right! They don't like a fast pull but a steady pull on the starter rope.
    Another thing is to check the oil as they do use a bit in the first few hours
  • Have same problem sometimes, mine was new last year so has auto choke. 

I try not to stop the engine in first 5 minutes of use, seems to get past choke being half on/ half off, lessens the stupidness of not starting.

Also found that  stiff pull sometimes, find just pulling really slowly a couple times seems to get past it.

• PRO

Does the GCV160 have the same choke system (semi-auto) as the 190 engine? If so, does the choker lever automatically disengage after starting? We have the 190's in our Toro's and they're 'faultless' at starting...

• Don't know about the 190's, haven't ever seen one. 

The new 160 GCV choke on my Izy has no manual control rods, nothing to adjust (or tinker with).

• PRO
        If it's like the 160s I have they have the completely automatic choke box on them.
  • PRO

Ok -It seems the 160 has a different choke system when compared to the 190s' - the attached may help you troubleshoot and adjust problematical chokes/starting...?

"If you're troubleshooting a hard starting problem on an auto-
    choke equipped GCV engine or lawn mower, follow these simple steps to
    confirm if the auto-choke (including the thermowax) is working properly.
    This procedure applies to the latest "square" thermowax design "
    only

GCV160-Auto-Choke-Bulletin.pdf

• PRO
      Not sure which mine are to be honest. My newest is a 2015 engine.
  • This reply was deleted.
    • PRO

I'd also consider backing it to the shop to check it out - they seem to make a big thing of the autochoke and there maybe later issues they've become aware of, with fixes available.

• Before pulling the starting handle , pull the deadman handle up and listen for a click, if you cant hear one the cable will need adjusting ( try putting tension on the cable between deadman handle and frame to overcome till you can )

The housing that holds the engine end can move over time .

• PRO

If you're experiencing resistance on pulling over I'd would certainly check that is not a minor hydraulic lock from flooding.

If you take the plug out and pull over; 1/ does it become easier, 2/ do you see excessive fuel expelled. If not and it's still hard to pull over it suggests something else - more mechanical

This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO

How Do You Qualify A Sales Lead?

I don't know about you, but our phones and emails are starting to get busy with enquiries. I've learned over the years that it's all too easy to answer the phone, arrange a consultation and then spend a couple of hours with a prospective client…

Read more…
Comments: 0