Forum

Hi Everyone, been a long time since I posted but I was hoping someone could give me some advice please.

I have recently purchased a used Etesia Pro 51K mower from a well known auction site via Buy it now. The seller stated that he had over 10 of these machines with best offer available too.

I e-mailed the seller and asked the year of the machines, he stated 2011, which I need to check somehow as unlike my Pro 46 there is no date plate on the item.

The seller promised to send me the best out of the bunch if I paid his full asking price, which including delivery was around the £500 mark.

Upon receipt I first noticed that the mower was fitted with a 46cm blade and not the correct 51cm blade.

I have used the machine a couple of times and noticed that the machine has got louder and louder every time. More like a metal on metal clutch type of sound, slightly high in pitch but after a few minutes the noise would reduce or stop.

Today I used the mower on a customers lawn and it suddenly cut out. I restarted the engine, which sounds fine but the minute I activated the clutch, there was a high pitched loud squeal and the machine dies. I also noticed that there is no forward drive now either, even when the clutch is not activated.

So I assume that it may well be the clutch that is the issue, so my questions are-

1) Is the clutch unit serviceable and replaceable?

2) Is the work required fairly straightforward on a DIY basis?

3) could it be something else other than the clutch?

4) Will Etesia likely tell me the year of manufacture if I provide the serial number?

Thankyou for taking the time to read my post. I have the mower for just over a month so far and I really do hope it's not a write off.

Regards

Marc 

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Steven, yes actually, It was a HRX 537, I was stunned.

The grass was indeed very long and dense on this occasion and the 537 just flew through it  with no problems whatsoever, whilst at the same time, cutting much lower than the 51K could before clogging.

I wish I had taken a video now, as the difference between the cut of the two machines was like chalk and cheese.

Don't get me wrong though, the 51K is a great machine and it doesn't have twin blades like the 537, so the comparison is a little unfair but in this particular scenario, the results were amazing.

The 537 is definitely on my shopping list now. If that machine can mulch very long grass to such a high level that it's hardly visible, it will certainly save a lot of Grass Box emptying time and feed the lawns too.

• PRO

I managed to drop onto one on ebay for £450 but it was local so I could go and see it first. It's a 2009 model but in good condition. Awesome machines,so yes definitely worth that money but you'd want to put in a bit of time to locate a good one.

• thanks for your replies

I've had the honda hrx537 and the drive on them gives bother had one to replace just over 1 year old and and now at times the back wheels lock when pulling lawnmower back.Lawnmower was back with main dealer a number of times at the mechanic kept telling me that these lawnmowers do this when i new this wasn't the case 

• PRO

I've had about 5 of these machines now and I've not experienced anything like what you're describing. I can't think of any significant problems we've had with them until they've come to the end of their service life which in our case is generally 4-5 years.

I prefer the VY version over the HY.

• PRO
    I'm Presuming that you changed the blade before all this? Reason I found this post was my pro 51k blade has a big chunk missing & loose. Just noticed using it today... So I'm buying new blade. Excellent mower, strong & especially in the wet. Mine was about £350 many years ago now, then I replaced drive. Engine bolt/ Height adjuster & service recently. It has earn the me much money back and its still going strong 7? Years later- and worth £250 still all day long.. I'd say it's the best value mower I've ever had yet. £2,500 new Inc grass box & vat.
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Operative

Additional landscape operatives required by commercial soft landscape contractor based in Crondall for immediate start. Landscape CSCS/CPCS preferable but not essential as full training given. Competitive salary and advancement opportunities for the… Continue

Junior Gardener

JOB BACKGROUND: Do you have high standards?  Are you able to commit to a role and work hard to maintain those high standards?  Are you keen to start a career in the horticultural industry with a company that will support and train you? Our Junior… Continue

Landscaper

Countryside Services is expanding – we have an increasing amount of bespoke, designed gardens on our books and need new staff. Your commitment to us: to be enthusiastically hard working (in all weathers), keen to learn and prepared to work long… Continue

Gardener

Our client is a successful family business with clients in both the residential and commercial sectors. They are now ready for the business’s next stage of expansion. They really are passionate about gardening and landscaping, providing a vast range… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After being selected as the official mower at the two most recent FIFA World Cup’s in South Africa and Brazil, Dennis Mowers will be the mower of choice for the 2018 tournament in Russia.

The Dennis G860 cylinder mower will have the task…

Read more…