Forum

Replies

• http://landscapejuicenetwork.com/forum/topics/35-hour-for-hedge-tri...

Back in 2013 people were charging £35 per man hour. I would suggest that £40 - £60 per hour for "trimming" a hedge is reasonable, plus a charge for taking away the rubbish.

Ask a Tree Surgeon how much they charge for hedge trimming and you will probably get a £shock, as most of them around this area don't do anything for less than £100 per man hour. 

£35/hour for hedge trimming?
    I've been reading Paul Power's excellent book on starting a gardening business. In it, there's a section on providing estimates in which he gives an…
  • I did a bit more online research and came across an interesting thread from 2013 about contractors cutting hedges with a tractor and flail cutter, the average came out at 32 to 35 pounds an hour, with some talk of 18 an hour which quite rightly us business suicide. While my car mechanic charges £50 an hour I shall not feel guilty about charging £30 an hour.
    • When you take into account the amount of time it takes you to travel to the job, and the time and effort to dispose of rubbish to the tip (if you do that), and the costs of running you van, fuel, machinery,  then you may find that £30 per hour gets diluted to a lot less than you would hope to earn.

It is far better when giving a quote to charge per job, than to give an hourly rate. By giving a quote for the job the customer does not relate the price to hourly wages, but does relate the price to what they would be willing to pay to have the job done.

But to be able to quote a price for the job, you do need to know your figures. 

For example, (if you are lawn mowing) you need to know the average time it takes to do 100, Sq Mtrs, and 200 Sq Mtrs, etc etc. 

It's not much use having a blanket price for any type of job, because the smaller the job the more it will cost you per unit rate. For example, to get to a job and mow 100Sq meters you might charge £25, for 200 Sq meters you might charge £35, and for 300 Sq Meters you might charge £42.50, As you can see the larger the job the lower the Unit Rate becomes, up to a certain point and them levels off.

This applies to just about all every type of job, Small jobs are less efficient to work and cost more to do, especially when you add in the Drive Time Effect.

Drive Time Effect has a huge effect on the cost of the job if the ratio between the Drive Time and the On the Job time is high. The larger the Drive Time and the smaller the job the higher the cost of doing the job becomes. If the Drive Time is very small and the job is large, then the Drive Time has the least effect on the cost of the job.

If you are able to give a quote for the job rather than per hour, you will find that you can obtain work at a very much higher rate, because you are charging people for work that they don't want to do themselves and are willing to pay a lot more than your hourly rate.

• PRO

Back to the OP. It's too cheap. Hedge cutting is hard work. I really know about it after a few days in a row.  Hedgecutters,Long reach/combi, Loppers, secateurs etc. all need maintenance and sharpening. Arb ladders are expensive and have to be loaded, secured, transported.

I give a price based on how long it will take me and how much I want the work. I price per job and try not to say how long it will take. By the time the customer has seen the professional equipment used and then seen the finished job, they don't normally comment on the price.

You must remember they have either spent precious weekends perched shakily on steps attempting the hedge, (with non pro gear), or they have paid someone else the rate.

For what its worth I normally try and get £200+ a day for myself as minimum but find smaller hedges pay well as you can trim them pretty quickly and be away in a couple of hours, often invoicing £80 upwards. The crucial thing is to do it well and you will nearly always be called back next time.

Hope this is helpful.

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Operative

Additional landscape operatives required by commercial soft landscape contractor based in Crondall for immediate start. Landscape CSCS/CPCS preferable but not essential as full training given. Competitive salary and advancement opportunities for the… Continue

Junior Gardener

JOB BACKGROUND: Do you have high standards?  Are you able to commit to a role and work hard to maintain those high standards?  Are you keen to start a career in the horticultural industry with a company that will support and train you? Our Junior… Continue

Landscaper

Countryside Services is expanding – we have an increasing amount of bespoke, designed gardens on our books and need new staff. Your commitment to us: to be enthusiastically hard working (in all weathers), keen to learn and prepared to work long… Continue

Gardener

Our client is a successful family business with clients in both the residential and commercial sectors. They are now ready for the business’s next stage of expansion. They really are passionate about gardening and landscaping, providing a vast range… Continue

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After being selected as the official mower at the two most recent FIFA World Cup’s in South Africa and Brazil, Dennis Mowers will be the mower of choice for the 2018 tournament in Russia.

The Dennis G860 cylinder mower will have the task…

Read more…