Forum

PRO Supplier

Glyphosate deadlock - drags on

No decision reached in todays vote over the future of glyphosate. At least they managed to vote this time which is more than they managed in October. 28 countries were eligible to vote. 14 FOR, 9 AGAINST, 5 ABSTAINED. 

Last year Malta was the only country to vote against the re-licensing of the crucial active ingredient. A qualified majority is required with each country being allocated a number of votes depending on the size of their population so the abstentions will be crucial to the re-vote scheduled for the end of the month.

Reuters News 

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Farmers in the UK do spray off crops wheat and oilseed rape, to kill any green vegetation and Volunteers (self germinated seeds from previous harvests), Otherwise its difficult to combine.  I think it about 7 to 10 days before harvest.  Its on the directions booklet on Glyphosate cans.  However, I think they only do it if they have to.

• PRO
        Last I heard it’s supposed to be 14 days before harvest. To allow it to work and be gone before harvest
        • You may well be right i have been out of Agriculture for a few years now.

• PRO

i was told a while ago that one of the effects of glyphosate is that it speeds up the aging process of the plant cells -- hence they state you can see an increase in weed growth before it dies 

this would increase the 'ripening' of a plant prior to harvest -- not sure how much truth is in that ?

• PRO

it inhibits the production of aromatic amino acids that are essential for plant growth  by blocking the shikimate pathway leading to a buildup of amino acid precursors " shikimate"   so basically the plant poisons itself to death .

• PRO

but does this accelerate growth , 'ripen' off the plant ?

• PRO

phenoxy herbicides accelerate growth , 24/d dicamba, aminopyralid etc. they are synthetic auxins that cause the plant to grow uncontrollably and die. glyphosate isnt like that . Saying that  making sure the plant is healthy and growing at its optimum rate causes the glyphosate to be translocated throughout the plant quicker increasing the efficacy and speeding up the " kill " rate... hence why sometimes we agitate and fertilise japanese knotweed before the first treatment to increase the translocation deep into the rhizome. Overdosing japanese knotweed can kill the center of the plant too quickly allowing outer rhizomes to shut down into dormancy so that the herbicide doesnt reach parts that we want them to  which can leave sites open to regeneration in later years

• PRO

thanks for that -- you are a mine of information LOL 

• PRO

lol... its my job to know all of this... i send guys out using chemicals and their safety and the enviroment is my #1 priority then comes the money. Also i get phone calls and i dont have the time to search google or books so its in my interest to know as much as i can end up looking a dick :)  nothing worse than being an expert and not knowing as much as your clients or detractors

• PRO
                      Playing devils advocate being an “expert” doesn’t mean you are right:)
                      After all you are yourself debunking what other “experts” have concluded. People who have not been sending people out working to make money from it.
                      I think it probably doesn’t help people’s health in the same way that mobile phone signals probably don’t help our brains!
                      But to try and pin cancer on it is next to impossible I think as 1-2 (I think?) of us will end up with it in some form over our lives
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Construction Manager

Job Summary We are an established garden design and build company looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Landscape Construction Manager. This is a hands-on role which involves building high end garden designs and overseeing the on site team.… Continue

Apprentice Landscape Gardeners

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled hard Landscaper

We require an experienced and well-presented landscaper capable of leading a small team. They must have at least 3 years’ experience in a broad range of hard and soft landscaping including paving, decking, groundworks, brick and blockwork,… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs