Forum

PRO Supplier

Glyphosate deadlock - drags on

No decision reached in todays vote over the future of glyphosate. At least they managed to vote this time which is more than they managed in October. 28 countries were eligible to vote. 14 FOR, 9 AGAINST, 5 ABSTAINED. 

Last year Malta was the only country to vote against the re-licensing of the crucial active ingredient. A qualified majority is required with each country being allocated a number of votes depending on the size of their population so the abstentions will be crucial to the re-vote scheduled for the end of the month.

Reuters News 

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

Public Liability and Employers Liability (£10 mil) for 5 employees and myself £751 premium.

Public Liability - £2mil cover, £500 excess for damage caused by heat. This was listed as a requested extra specific to my requests. All covered as far as I can see. 

• PRO

Are we being misled by Activists with unsupported evidence ?

“The target is glyphosate : it’s time to worry. the real goal of today’s anti- GM movement is to kill the weed killer at the core of modern agriculture....”

...article continues here....

It addresses the issue as seen from EU, Canadian & US prospectives

The target is glyphosate
    Avaaz recently outlined its strategy for killing glyphosate. In its own words, it lists five needs for which it was soliciting funds. Every one of th…
    • PRO

Very interesting article. I think there is a place for chemicals, just not at the rate that we apply it at the minute. In terms of toxicity, it states that it is at the same levels as bicarb and salt. You would not put salt or bicarb on our fields would you making that a little stretchy justification. There surely cannot be any doubt that glyphosate is a harmful product to the environment and our health? 

My personal view is that soil heath is key to healthy growing plants and chemicals should be used as sparingly as humanly possible. Setting combative agendas as Avaaz does not help anyone.

The target is glyphosate
      Avaaz recently outlined its strategy for killing glyphosate. In its own words, it lists five needs for which it was soliciting funds. Every one of th…
      • PRO

Yes, a very interesting article, along with many others on both sides of the argument. We can all pick 'specific' comments/reports/views from reports to suit one's individual agenda. The righteous approach by some individuals and groups does no good for anyone or campaigns.

Of course pesticides can be potentially dangerous, just take a step back and look at they are being asked to do. It has to be balanced with benefits and needs of the populations.

Are you, I or the Activists best qualified or informed to make that decision ?

So reminds of the 'do or die' doomsday predictions by 'experts, politicians etc' during BREXIT

The target is glyphosate
  • PRO Supplier

Good points all-round - we just need to keep perspective on the reasons for and against.
    What was a fairly simple scientific debate has been politicised by some countries who are publicly riding the popular wave whipped up by NGO's and green groups yet privately are urging the renewal of glyphosate to make sure their food production isn't affected.
    Amenity use accounts for a tiny percentage of overall use and alternatives are rightly being developed in both amenity & farming but an ill-informed knee-jerk ban will be a nightmare for everyone. 

• PRO

politics "trumping" science.... always a bad place to be..... more stakeholder pressure explaining what could happen if a ban on glyphosate is introduced. More training for farmers as well. The old ways are dead targeted use and more responsible use. 

It worked in tree surgery where the tree and the enviroment was now the main concern rather than cut and clear off. 

• PRO
        “The old ways” have been dead for a long time.
        The chemicals we used (not me personally I should add, as I was banned from the chemical store until I was 16) as I kid of the farm were properly scary stuff that could quite easily kill a person let alone animals and plant life.
        Care is needed as to how far the other way it goes as people do need to eat and without chemicals yields will drop massively and could drop by 60% or more. Do we want food shortages?
  • PRO
    https://twitter.com/doctorchristian/status/929848341441196038
    Dr Christian Jessen on Twitter
    “I'm getting pestered by various groups asking why I refuse to put my name to a letter/petition to get glyphosate banned. The answer is simple: overw…
  • I remember reading back in the summer a post started by Gary (I think) regarding Amazon selling Glyphosate, there was one review on the Amazon page where someone had bought 5 litres and used it neat to kill off some Ivy.  So surely now is the time to adjust legislation and only trained professionals should be able to use and buy chemicals after taking advice from trained and authorised suppliers.

• PRO

I agree Ben. The rules are in already place, they just need tweaking, following and policing.

Anyone who has been on PA training knows the importance of taking the best route/products to solve the issue at hand, how to use professionally, minimizing environmental impact etc.

However, it's now all about competent stewardship ?

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Construction Manager

Job Summary We are an established garden design and build company looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Landscape Construction Manager. This is a hands-on role which involves building high end garden designs and overseeing the on site team.… Continue

Apprentice Landscape Gardeners

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled hard Landscaper

We require an experienced and well-presented landscaper capable of leading a small team. They must have at least 3 years’ experience in a broad range of hard and soft landscaping including paving, decking, groundworks, brick and blockwork,… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs

PRO Supplier

New York Red Bulls Praise SISIS Osca

Dan Shemesh, Director of Stadium and Training Grounds for the New York Red Bulls has praised the SISIS Osca 3 which maintains the synthetic turf on one of the club’s training fields.

When Dan Shemesh was looking for a machine that…

Read more…