Forum

PRO

Getting a mower into the van

Hi All,

Long time lurker but first time poster, so be gentle with me.

This is a question to the people that have small vans (Berlingo, Partner, kangoo etc) and use professional mowers. How do you get them into your van, do you have ramps, can you tilt them back and drive them in.

Currently I am using a 48cm Cobra roller (rubbish wet pickup) and at only 32kg I can pick it up and put it in the back or occasionally tilt it back until the front wheels are on the back bumper and then lift the back and roll it in, I am looking to upgrade to a professional mower to allow me to still be able to do a good job in the damp but they all seem to be over 60kg in weight and I am worried that I wont be able to lift it in and out easily. I don't want to spend £1000+ and then find that I end up leaving it in the garage because it is too heavy or have to faff about with ramps on the roofrack.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

I use a scaff plank, easy for me in and out. The van is Renault Trafic if that matters.

• Got an off cut of 3/4" marine ply with strengthening on the bottom and use this for my Weibang to side load into Combo , will take picture tomorrow.

• I have a ramp made of waterproof ply laminate it has two gate hinges bolted into the floor at the back door of my Fiat scudo. Just flip it down and roll the mower out and back in. At the end of the season I understand bolt it and stick it in my garage.
    • PRO

I'm the same. I have a piece of thick plywood on a hinge attached to the floor at the side door on my vivaro. It doesn't reach the ground, but I only need to get the front wheels on, then I can push the mowers up. It has a little leg that hangs down to support the weight.

It's worked so well I think I will improve on the design for next year.

• A couple 5ft lengths of decking board screwed together the right width apart. The ramp slides behind the bulkhead and I've left a one inch slot at the end of the shelf at the other side so it sits perfectly in place. I've had the same ramp for 6-7 years using my 60kg roller mower and I stand on it every time and it's perfect.
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Operative

Additional landscape operatives required by commercial soft landscape contractor based in Crondall for immediate start. Landscape CSCS/CPCS preferable but not essential as full training given. Competitive salary and advancement opportunities for the… Continue

Junior Gardener

JOB BACKGROUND: Do you have high standards?  Are you able to commit to a role and work hard to maintain those high standards?  Are you keen to start a career in the horticultural industry with a company that will support and train you? Our Junior… Continue

Landscaper

Countryside Services is expanding – we have an increasing amount of bespoke, designed gardens on our books and need new staff. Your commitment to us: to be enthusiastically hard working (in all weathers), keen to learn and prepared to work long… Continue

Gardener

Our client is a successful family business with clients in both the residential and commercial sectors. They are now ready for the business’s next stage of expansion. They really are passionate about gardening and landscaping, providing a vast range… Continue

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After being selected as the official mower at the two most recent FIFA World Cup’s in South Africa and Brazil, Dennis Mowers will be the mower of choice for the 2018 tournament in Russia.

The Dennis G860 cylinder mower will have the task…

Read more…