Forum

Replies

• PRO
    To quote the article referred to on Twitter "“The signs are that the National Trust is being turned into a branch of the leisure industry."

I thought it already was, I wonder if the former owners of Shute Barton would have anticipated that the property would be turned into holiday let's with a minimal number of open days for the NT members and the public to view the property?

Andy
  • Whatever the 'ins and outs' of this particular article, the qualifications industry continues to thrive, with certificates replacing on-site training and common sense. The Government are quite happy to bank the 20% VAT and the additional employment it brings tutors, so don't expect any relaxation any time soon. 

• PRO

The national trust are a big organisation trying to do good things. Ever since visiting the Lake District and seeing their work there, I've supported them via annual DD for 30 years and will continue to do so. They face fast changing pressures, but are big and slow moving, and frequently get things wrong. In many ways they are an easy target for "headline" publicity and hand grenades being thrown at them. As ever good solid day to day work does not sell newspapers. However, they do seem to have gone overly PC and off core goals under the current leadership, but I think that will be corrected. Overall I believe they have done and continue to do the vast majority of things right.

As such when I see stories like this I do wonder what the truth of the matter is. Remember, they have HR hands tied, so the headline reason may be the one to stand up in law, but in reality it's a lot more complex.

• The national trust have become a joke and supporters have been cancelling memberships in their droves.<br/>
    <br/>
    Examples here<br/>
    <a rel=nofollow href="http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/have-we-done-national-trust...;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/03/national-trust-banishes-...
  • One of the reason why I left the National Trust was due to the direction the charity was taking. The emphasis was on customer services and experience coupled with the Enterprise side of the business (shops, tea rooms and holiday cottages) whilst the conservation side was diluted (the houses, gardens and countryside). I know the property in question and I suspect the Gardener did not meet the criteria in engaging with the visitors spectrum plus in all likelihood he did not have any qualifications. Inherited staff taken on by the NT were more often than not a problem as they did not understand the core values of the NT.

I too listened to the interview on Radio 4 about the outgoing Director General of the NT, Helen Gosht. I believe the organisation is not what it once was and at one time I was proud to wear the gold NT emblem on my shirt. I wish the organisation all the best in the future and hope the new DG will steer the charity in the right direction.
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Construction Manager

Job Summary We are an established garden design and build company looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Landscape Construction Manager. This is a hands-on role which involves building high end garden designs and overseeing the on site team.… Continue

Apprentice Landscape Gardeners

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled hard Landscaper

We require an experienced and well-presented landscaper capable of leading a small team. They must have at least 3 years’ experience in a broad range of hard and soft landscaping including paving, decking, groundworks, brick and blockwork,… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs