Forum

PRO

Fudging and snagging charges ?

Please excuse my naivety here but i went to look at a small garden construction job this morning and was asked what my fudging and snagging charge was . 

To be honest i must have being living under a rock because i have never heard these terms before . 

The customer explained that in the last gardeners quote breakdown he included these charges at his normal hourly rate . 

I said fudging sounds like incompetence , Why would someone charge you for their incompetence if this is what the term means and the customer agreed . 

Can anyone enlighten me 

Thank you .

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
    Check out these terms in the urban dictionary..
    www.urbandictionary.com

The guy may have been confused at the type of services you offer..
    • PRO

Crikey ! I think it best to stick with the Oxford dictionary version in its mildest definition of ''altering'' , The alternative sounds like a bad answer on countdown :0  Thanks .

• no idea about fudging but it sounds like bodging as for snagging that is going round after the job is complete putting (usually) small things right. like if you buy a brand new house you will end up making a snagging list of things that need putting right and the builder will do the list free of charge 

• PRO

This sounds in context actually David with the project which is to dismantle an unwanted summer house  in the customers neighbours garden and to transfer and re assemble it in hers where its earmarked for an outdoor office space . I suspect it will require a bit of altering  and snagging which explains the extra charges over and above re assembly , The other gardener has obviously thought this through , Many Thanks 

• PRO
    Personally I think the client is talking sh*t ...... cheers
    • PRO

I suspect they envisage problems Harry and testing the waters , Old leaky creaky timber is not within my domain even as winter work , Good luck to anyone who wants to try but i feel it will work out cheaper to buy a new summer house . 

• I once worked with a very old garden designer, she was in her 80s but still very much with it. She would often say things might need fudging once it’s done. Sometimes things look right when set out on paper but don’t quite look right to the eye when there done -this is when you would “fudge it” to make it look correct to the eye.
    As for the snagging charge I personally think the customer is being pro active and being good by saying that they can foresee there might be slight adjustments at the end of the job. Better than you finishing the job and them trying it on to get more out of you.
    On most of my landscaping jobs I allow for a contingency fund - added to the quote. Explained to the customer that we may come across unforeseen items - manholes covered in grass, concrete 12inches think under patios.
    The job could be a pain but at least the customer is aware that there could be slight niggles.
    • PRO

One great example of fudging is the Parthenon.

"For thousands of years, people have looked on the ancient Greek temples (like the Parthenon) in awe of their perfection in design and construction. Architects have known for centuries that they were built with deliberate mistakes that somehow made them look more perfect. At what stage in the building process did they decide to put in the subtle mistakes?"

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2000/06/22/2119322.htm

The secret plans of ancient architects
      For thousands of years, people have looked on the ancient Greek temples (like the Parthenon) in awe of their perfection in design and construction
      • PRO

For thousands of years, people have looked on the ancient Greek temples (like the Parthenon) in awe of their perfection in design and construction
        • PRO

Thanks for sharing this Phil , just goes to show there is an art to fudging , the timing is inspired to be able to pull it off effectively 

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Construction Manager

Job Summary We are an established garden design and build company looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Landscape Construction Manager. This is a hands-on role which involves building high end garden designs and overseeing the on site team.… Continue

Apprentice Landscape Gardeners

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Skilled hard Landscaper

We require an experienced and well-presented landscaper capable of leading a small team. They must have at least 3 years’ experience in a broad range of hard and soft landscaping including paving, decking, groundworks, brick and blockwork,… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

The Outdoor Room is a multi award winning garden design and construction company.  We are passionate about designing, creating and caring for beautiful gardens and landscapes.  Our knowledgeable, experienced and creative team offers a professional,… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs

PRO Supplier

New York Red Bulls Praise SISIS Osca

Dan Shemesh, Director of Stadium and Training Grounds for the New York Red Bulls has praised the SISIS Osca 3 which maintains the synthetic turf on one of the club’s training fields.

When Dan Shemesh was looking for a machine that…

Read more…