Forum

Replies

• I have always worked on a basis of working 220 days a year.  

• PRO

we manage to work around 48 weeks a year less the weather turns really bad over winter my men have 4 weeks holiday a year 

• i have 100 maintenance clients of which 60 are grass cutting only clients with the remaining 40 gardening clients most of the work is done and finishing up next week with autumn tidys done last month and the winter pruning all done this month. ive tried promoting extras such as driveway cleaning etc but in all honesty this time of year most people have there christmas head on.. i close for 7 weeks and make next visit end feb - during such time i do all my accounts and prepare all for next year and then take my holidays. have tried getting work jan/feb but in 5 years its never been worth while unless your into the gritting

• Interesting that you finished your 'Autumn tidies' last month Matt, we are still clearing leaves and will pay another visit to all of our gardens before Christmas. Yesterday, on one small garden of no more than 250sq.m, we collected 2 bulk bags full of Oak leaves - even tho we were there last week, the Birch are also hanging on this year. Jan/Feb and March will be pruning and general prep for the growing season and probably the odd topping of the grass. 

• PRO
        Like Colin, we're still full on and still will be until Christmas.

We're busy doing a business park blitz today and have removed 22off 1000l bags of leaves and today we are in doing minor tree and hedge works.

I reckon we are busier during these months that at any other time.
        • PRO
          I like this time of year as you can take a day off if you feel like it. For me at least there's not much that can't wait another day!
          • PRO
            Absolutely, if you box clever you dictate what and how much you want to do... But there is always something to do that will generate some cash flow if needed :)
        • PRO

I'm shocked that you have finished with leaves. I've spent most of the week clearing them and there are still a good few on the trees to give me more work up till Christmas. Sure we had 4 real hard frosts last week but the oaks are hanging on.

To be fair, this has been a bumper year for leaves, so much so I even spoke to others in the trade locally and there has definitely been a lot more this autumn.

Regarding other duties, I've barely started pruning yet and there are still a number of hedges that need trimming. I think I'll end up with about 10 days off over Christmas and then if I run low on work I'll point out  to customers its a good time to plant those shrubs that will fill in any unsightly gaps in their gardens.

Re the opening post. It takes a while to get established in this game but once you know what to expect, you can upsell accordingly. It's also worth remembering, most industries are quiet in Jan and Feb too.

• guess it depends where you are, but all leaves were off trees here mid november due to hard frost early november 

• PRO

Has anyone ever considered creating a business plan that lets you work just 4 days a week instead of 5?

It's not as dramatic or outrageous as it might first appear.

Simply work out all of your overhead costs, add on the profit you wish to make, then divide it by the number of days a year you wish to work. This daily rate (internal use only) then becomes your target.

Of course you can still work an extra day if you want to (and maybe Saturday) but it means that apart from cost of sales, all tie worked over the 4 day target is profit.

This reply was deleted.

Industry Jobs

Garden maintenance operatives – full and part time – Tunbridge Wells area

Experienced gardeners – start a new and exciting career in 2018 Work in the Tunbridge Wells, Uckfield, Lewes and surrounding areas – 7 hour working days Full time – up to £26k, holidays, tools supplied Self employed,  £14.28 – £15.71 per hour Are you an experienced and/or qualified gardener looking for a new and

Landscaper

HortiServices Ltd are well respected Professional Landscapers in South Cambridgeshire, providing design, installation and maintenance services. Our success can be attributed to the loyalty of our customers, high quality of our work and our willingness to go the full mile for our clients. Due to our successful growth we are recruiting for landscaper/landscape labourer to

Hard Landscape Foreman

You will have at least 3 years’ experience of running domestic landscaping projects with project values ranging from 20k-150k, producing work on time to an exceptional standard. Key skills: – ·         Proficient at all aspects of hard and soft landscaping with experience of working with a wide range of materials and budgets. ·         A very

Experienced Landscape Gardener

We are seeking an experienced hard landscaper to join our growing team. The prospective candidate must be proficient and experienced in, patios, decking, stone and brick walling, using site levels and familiar with drainage and be able to work from site drawings/plans. Must be able to work unaided and/or as part of a team.

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

If you've received help from the Landscape Juice Network and you'd like to say thank you, why not make a small donation?

The site is maintained as an indpendent industry resource and it's become an essential tool for those working in the landscape industry.

Thank you

Phil Voice

Founder Landscape Juice

Make a donation

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Blogs

PRO Supplier

Cold Start Kick Starts Edgbaston’s Greens

Eddie Mills, Course Manager at Edgbaston Golf Club in Birmingham, believes that his fully integrated iTurf programme has helped him maintain his particularly stubborn clay-based greens to an exceptional standard.

Established in 1896,…

Read more…