Forum

Construction Line

After discussing whether i can be placed on a housing associations list of contractors, they said i would need to be registered with construction line first.

Why?

Isnt construction line for construction only? My main work is grounds maintenance, so this has baffled me a little!

Is anyone on here a member of construction line? Any benefits?

Thanks alot

Steve

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

Hi Gary / Steve, I had been thinking about adding this accreditation to the business for sometime, to compliment our SAFEcontractor status. After reading all the posts tonight I have just finished my online application and paid my money. For the sake of £108.00 I think it is money well spent for getting onto the clients preferred contractors list I am after. Thanks for your (as usual) well informed views and information.

Regards

PS: Steve, hows the SAFEcontractor application coming along ??

Gary RK said:

Steve,

Having SAFEcontrtactor short cuts you into getting Constructionline.

I don't believe in collecting 'badges', but I do believe in researching your target client base and seeing what they need to enable you to be participate. Whether you choose to play ball is down to you and what work you want to get and how much you need to invest to get that work.

One thing I will say, is that it focuses your practices / processes, improves your professional image and standing amoungst existing and prospective clients.

Steve Wilkinson said:

Is there similarities between safe contractor(which i am currently seeking) and construction line?

Think i will do some research to see whether there are significant benefits to joining.

But as gary said, it cant hurt!!

• hi Brian

My thoughts were along the same lines actually, they may well compliment each other.

Is the process similar to safe contractor?

I looked on their database and saw alot of housing associations on there.

Safe contractor. I am still waiting for their reply. It takes 4-6 weeks and i suppose its been about 3 weeks now so i am hopefull!!! They will either ask for more info or send the accreditation straight away. They may well ask for more info which is fine.

• is it something you have considered getting gary? (construction line accreditation)

Seems like something i will look into. Cant hurt. And although i am not a fan of all the red tape. If i want to get into bed with the big boys i have to play their games!!!

Gary RK said:

Steve,

I don't believe in collecting 'badges', but I do believe in researching your target client base and seeing what they need to enable you to be participate. Whether you choose to play ball is down to you and what work you want to get and how much you need to invest to get that work.

One thing I will say, is that it focuses your practices / processes, improves your professional image and standing amoungst existing and prospective clients.

Steve Wilkinson said:

Is there similarities between safe contractor(which i am currently seeking) and construction line?

Think i will do some research to see whether there are significant benefits to joining.

• PRO

Yeah a bit, but they ask a lot more on your equal opps policy and ethnic stuff, which a lot of, does not affect a small business much. Also a lot of questions on your environmental policy and proceedures, but again not all of the questions are pertinent to a small company.

Steve Wilkinson said:

hi Brian

My thoughts were along the same lines actually, they may well compliment each other.

Is the process similar to safe contractor?

I looked on their database and saw alot of housing associations on there.

Safe contractor. I am still waiting for their reply. It takes 4-6 weeks and i suppose its been about 3 weeks now so i am hopefull!!! They will either ask for more info or send the accreditation straight away. They may well ask for more info which is fine.

• PRO

Steve, it is something I have looked at and will progress it.

One of our target businesses requires Constructionline, however we have done some work for them outside of the scheme and they have spoken to us about the requirement to have it for larger contracts.

I just needed to get the Exor stuff out of the way first so we could start a large grounds maint contract. That been done, so I've got some time to look at it again.

It looks like we are all on the same wave lenght here. The amount of money (ok, it is a cost BUT what is the cost of not having it ?) has to be considered. I could spend that amount of advertising etc in a blink on YP etc etc and get nothing, but  our focus is commercial and not residential.

I've flipped things over the last year. We do not advertise, have expensive YP etc adverts, have a SEO'd website. Most of our work comes from recommendation thru existing clients who are happy with our performance, approach and generally feeling comfortable about all our H&S, insurances, policies etc.

Steve Wilkinson said:

is it something you have considered getting gary? (construction line accreditation)

Seems like something i will look into. Cant hurt. And although i am not a fan of all the red tape. If i want to get into bed with the big boys i have to play their games!!!

Gary RK said:

Steve,

Steve Wilkinson said:

• The last company I worked for had MOD acreditation, for a start it was neither too expensive or the imput too onerous. However as the years passed the costs escalated as did the time required in conformity issues.

Be very wary about these schemes, as in time they may turn out to be an unaffordable drain on your businesses. Make sure that you factor these additional costs into either your marketing budget or have in place a mechanism for recovering these costs from those customers who demand that you are a member of these organisations. Do not forget to include the time spent on addressing compliance issues in your costs.

• PRO

You are right. You absolutely have to factor ALL your costs into your prices..

Overhead recovery can be one area many business fail to address until it is too late...

• Feel free to PM me for any support during the application process.

Thanks

• PRO Supplier

Hi Steve, We are members of Constructionline, I think the advantage comes to buyers not so much suppliers such as ourselves, in that buyers can select from a pool of potential suppliers who are willing to deliver services in the specific geographic area and that have had credentials checked and verified, this saves them time and effort I guess.

I think you need to take a good look at the buyers that are registered with Constructionline, the services they require and where they want them delivered.  If this investigation shows a cross match with what you supply and who you want to work for then you should consider registration.  The other matter is that the application process is not that quick especially as references need to obtained, therefore you should take this into account.

Hope this help and best of luck

www.fencingessentials.co.uk

• PRO

Am currently considering coming out of BALI as the costs are quite high and I don't feel like it's bringing me much,although I don't really engage with it,it's basically just a badge to wear. I currently work with a college and a housing association and neither have ever asked for any accreditation but I'm very mindful that this could change at any moment.

I'd like to gain more work of this kind of nature as I feel I rely too heavily on these two jobs so I see the benefit in the "badges"  but I'm wondering if it would be bettter to lose BALI and do safecontractor then possibly constructionline?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Landscape Operative

Additional landscape operatives required by commercial soft landscape contractor based in Crondall for immediate start. Landscape CSCS/CPCS preferable but not essential as full training given. Competitive salary and advancement opportunities for the… Continue

Junior Gardener

JOB BACKGROUND: Do you have high standards?  Are you able to commit to a role and work hard to maintain those high standards?  Are you keen to start a career in the horticultural industry with a company that will support and train you? Our Junior… Continue

Landscaper

Countryside Services is expanding – we have an increasing amount of bespoke, designed gardens on our books and need new staff. Your commitment to us: to be enthusiastically hard working (in all weathers), keen to learn and prepared to work long… Continue

Gardener

Our client is a successful family business with clients in both the residential and commercial sectors. They are now ready for the business’s next stage of expansion. They really are passionate about gardening and landscaping, providing a vast range… Continue

Latest blog post

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs

PRO Supplier

ICL paves the way for more games at Pride Park Stadium

Nathan Scarff, Head Groundsman at Derby County FC, has revealed that a range of ICL products have helped him achieve his main target of hosting more games at Pride Park Stadium without compromising on the quality of the pitch.

Nathan…

Read more…
PRO Supplier

After being selected as the official mower at the two most recent FIFA World Cup’s in South Africa and Brazil, Dennis Mowers will be the mower of choice for the 2018 tournament in Russia.

The Dennis G860 cylinder mower will have the task…

Read more…