Forum

Best strimmer cord

Hi everyone just a quick question to see what people class as the best cord to use for our strimmers. Im sick of buying 'the best cord going' and it being shit so thought id see what everyone else uses cheers lads

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO
                      Ah, not for me mate, I got my hands full with my wild bunch, but I'm sure lots of people reading this thread just added £35 to their yearly quotes :-)
  • PRO

3mm stihl square for general use and 7mm oregon techniblade for brushcutting.

• I have been using 2mm Stihl line and it lasts in my stihl 360 loads longer than using 3mm in the same circumstances.  Admittedly i'm not cutting in and around building and kerb edges anymore on a verges contract then i used square edged and it didn't last long.  The other thing about 2mm stuff is you can you less power therefore less strain on the engine and higher performance with less wear when you do hit a hard edge. It was my local Stihl dealer suggestion and I have been amazed at the results.

• PRO

I would expect to see minimal strimming damage on trees, fence and signage posts, even around buildings - if there is or excessive line usage, I would say 'improve your technique'.....

I know a large, local Contractors who use fixed line heads and they guys get given a limited amount of pre-cut line to make them concentrate on their job/technique when strimming.......

• PRO
      What is excessive usage?
      What kills line for me is concrete lampposts! That and an unbelievably fussy council that want the grass almost scalped! But on that front I have movement and agreed with them that raising the height of cut this year will look better all round.
  • Thanks for your recommendments the next question as daft as it may sound is what mm cord do i order i used to use the yellow stuff but it was abit too big for my strimmer head holes so after so long just spins off then the brown x shaped wire which i used most recently fit the strimmer head perfectly but snapped so easily it was pointless having to restock the head once avery run cheers
    • PRO
      Buy the biggest that will fit in the strimmer head! Out of all the line I've tried the stihl square lasts longest at the sizes you need the be using.
      Have you tried soaking the line in water?
      • Best one I've used was a Hexagonal one in NZ but alas not been able to find it here. 

• Whats the best cord for graveyards in your guys opinion.
    • PRO

"Stihl Quiet Round" orange strimming cord - sorry, couldn't resist that..:) But it is good !

This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Experienced Tree Surgeon

Employer: Bawden Group

Job Type: Full Time

Wiltshire tree surgeons Bawden Tree Care, is part of the Bawden Group a privately owned company, delivering tree care and… Continue

Grounds Maintenance Supervisor

Employer: Bawden Group

Team Leader / Supervisor required to manage team(s) of mobile grounds maintenance and gardening staff in the delivery of grounds… Continue

Skilled Landscaper required

Employer: Scott\'s elite landscapes

Undertake all aspects of hard and soft landscaping construction. Using machines and setting out sites.. managing projects… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs