Forum

PRO

Atco liner 19 vs Cobra RM48

Hi all, as the title says. I'm after a new 19 inch mower with a roller and have narrowed the choice down to these two models. If my budget stretched I'd have gone with a Honda. I have looked at both mowers and been impressed with them. Would the fact the Cobra has a Subaru engine put people off? Other than that they seem fairly bullet proof and work well in the wet. The improvements of the Atco and the fact it has a B&S engine are plus points.Any thoughts or comments appreciated!

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PRO

I'd take a subaru over a B&S every time. Unless it was the twin cylinder vanguard B&S engines.

• PRO
      Me too the smaller b and s engines are cack these days!
      • PRO
        Agreed, unfortunately the newer smaller B&S engines are not great, the only issue I'd have with the Cobra is the length of the mower, it's one long ass machine haha
  • PRO

Hi,what sort of money is the Cobra and can I ask what makes you thinks it's decent in the wet? I have one of the larger models and it's no better than anything else I have.Cheers.

• PRO
      They are around the £930 mark although I have sourced one from a supplier I have known for some years (done a lot of business with) at £800 inc vat.
      Re working in the wet I have a couple of friends who use them commercially and they rate them highly. which model do you use?
      • PRO

The one I have is the RM53SPH. I prefer my Honda HRD 536. The Cobra I find slow,heavy and cumbersome,the grass box is poor too being saggy with sharp plastic edges. The version you're refering to maybe very different of course so I'd be interested to know how you get on with it if you get one.

• PRO
    Thanks for the feedback. Interesting comments re the B&S engine. I like the atco for the double cutting blade but I'm leaning towards the Cobra even with its length!
    • PRO
      I've only got one Machine with a b and s engine on now as they cause nothing but trouble in my experience.
      They need treating with kid gloves. They also drink fuel compared with Honda engines(that always start).
      But you won't go far wrong with the suburu engine.
      • PRO

Apparently the new B&S engines are almost impossible to re start  when hot , I have one to put to the test and dreading it . Time could be lost waiting for it to cool down in order to try and restart it , 

• PRO
          There's another reason not to buy!
          They ruined their engines when they went cheap on components.
          They were good at one time I remember some from the farm as a kid and they behaved quite well
This reply was deleted.

Landscape industry Jobs

Experienced Landscaper

Employer: Down to Earth Gardening

Job Type: Full Time

Down to Earth Gardening Limited are a well-established gardening company working throughout Edinburgh and the Lothians. We currently… Continue

Experienced Horticulturist

Employer: Down to Earth Gardening

Down to Earth Gardening Limited are a well-established gardening company working throughout Edinburgh and the Lothians. We currently… Continue

Garden Maintenance Operative

Employer: The English Garden Co Ltd

A high end garden maintenance company in South Mimms, is looking for YOU! Working as part of a 2-3 man team in London and… Continue

Latest blog post

Trade green waste centres

Start a landscaping business

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

Technical landscaping books

Blogs