Forum

Taking on a new employee

I'm in a bit of a fix at the moment as I'm wanting to take on my first employee but have no idea of how to go about setting up all the bits & bobs to make sure I'm fulfilling all the legal requirements. I'm going to make an appointment with the C.A.B. in Halifax to see what advice and help they can give me. Can anyone here offer me any good advice on who to contact or on the aspects of the setting myself up as an employer. I'm imagining that my employee will be part-time and on a seasonal basis. What advice do you have for setting up a temporary contract? What are my rights and my responsibilities as an employer?Sorry to be so vague but this is just a general question to test the waters so-to-speak. Many thanks...

You need to be a member of Landscaper Network & Forum to add comments!

Join Landscaper Network & Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The inland revenue will send you reams of stuff on this if you ask them....
  • And another thought - is there a "Business link" office in your area? They'll offer free advice on all sorts of stuff, this included I would imagine (I've never used our local office, but keep getting mail shots from them offerring advice on pretty much every business related matter you can think of.)
  • My best Advice would be to take out employee insurance before starting any employee’s
    You can work without public insurance, if you like taking the risk, but you are legally bound to have employee insurance before starting any employees
    Contracts of employment: introduction web link;
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/EmploymentContract...
  • Hi Nick,

Yes, I'm on the mailing list for Business Link West Yorkshire but I've not pursued them as a line of enquiry. I'll give them a try and report back to evryone how things go.

Nick Steele said:
    And another thought - is there a "Business link" office in your area? They'll offer free advice on all sorts of stuff, this included I would imagine (I've never used our local office, but keep getting mail shots from them offerring advice on pretty much every business related matter you can think of.)
  • Hi Simon,

Thanks for the link - that's been really useful. I'm now feeling a bit more confident that I know the right questions to ask and I should be able to get up and running without too much disruption.

Simon Smith said:
    My best Advice would be to take out employee insurance before starting any employee’s
    You can work without public insurance, if you like taking the risk, but you are legally bound to have employee insurance before starting any employees
    Contracts of employment: introduction web link;
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/EmploymentContract...
  • PRO Member
    Here are a some good resource sites that are worth using as a starting point.

Inland Revenue - New Employer - details on your responsibilities.

Business Link - Employing people - Information on taking on staff, holiday entitlements to how to lay off staff.
  • Andrew,

I recently had the same problem. I've started a gardening business and was looking to take people on as and when i need them. To be fully legal i was advised to contact the HM Revenue and customs which i did. I registered as an employer and they sent me out a started pack that I'm still reading through. It shows you how to pay your employee and their tax deductions etc. However I'm only looking at taking people on only as and when i need to. I contacted my accountant and taxation adviser and he said that all i need to do is keep a record of what and when I'm paying them and it's up to them to declare it to the tax man. Its a mine field but hopefully this will give you some idea.

Kind Regards

Kev T.
  • I don't think its quite as simple as that - there are quite specific rules governing whether somebody is an employee or self employed sub-contractor - if you treat them as self employed they have to quote for individual bits of work, send invoices, supply all their own tools etc. Its a minefield, so be careful!
This reply was deleted.

Landscaping & gardening jobs

Landscaper/ Project Manager

Employer: PatchWorks

Job Type: Self employed

We are a small expanding landscape design/build company and require an experienced hard landscaper/project manager. We are a small team and love… Continue

landscape labourer

Employer: artform landscapes

Job Type: Full time

Artform landscapes is a small developing company who are members of the association of professional landscapers. We have been… Continue

Landscaping Business Manager

Employer: Springlawn UK

Springlawn UK is part of the WCF group of companies, an employee owned organisation with a diverse and vibrant variety of brands and… Continue

Experienced Landscaper Warrington £30,000

Employer: Kirman Design

Job Type: Temporary

We are looking for a skilled, professional, motivated and enthusiastic Landscaper with experience, and good customer service skills. This… Continue

Gardener – Oxford Lawns and Gardens Ltd

Employer: Oxford Lawns and Gardens Ltd

Full time or Part time Gardener is required to join our small team of professional gardeners working in the South… Continue

Groundsman/Gardener Bedford

Employer: Bedford Heights Business Centre

A groundsman/gardener is required to be responsible for a 13.49 acre site (approximately ¾ of this is buildings and… Continue

Gardening Team in London

Employer: FantasticServices

Fantastic Services is currently searching for experienced gardeners in London to match the constantly increasing customer… Continue

Landscape site manager Cambridge

Employer: Woodhouse Landscape Ltd

Woodhouse Landscape/Natural pools are a design and build company based near Cambridge We undertake a whole range of diverse… Continue

Hard Landscaper required Didcot

Employer: J Drewe Landscaping & Maintenance

We currently require an experienced hard landscaper to join our team. The applicant must hold a full UK driving license… Continue

Latest blog post

How do i charge a customer for van hire

I am looking to start my own buisness I full time as a head gardener and don't own a van and have to hire a van most weekends. And I need to know how to incorporate this into my quotes. I also need to know how to charge for waste removel and the…
Read more…
Comments: 0

Upgrade your mobile phone

LJN Sponsor

public liability insurance for landscapers and gardeners

Premium Supplier

Pellenc arrives in style on the Isle of Wight

Doug McGeoch, owner of McGeoch’s Gardening Services, is the proud and first new owner of a range of Pellenc battery powered tools on the Isle of Wight.  

Over the past two years Etesia UK, the exclusive UK distributor of Pellenc, has reported a dramatic increase in Pellenc sales with over 50 dealers now stocking the battery powered tools. The popularity of the Pellenc range continues to spread and Doug’s new tools now signals the first of potentially many more sales on the Isle of…

Read more…
Premium Supplier

Lee Evans, head groundsman at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, claims that the Dennis G860 is the ‘perfect machine’ for him and his grounds staff.

Since opening in June 1999, the Principality Stadium (formerly known as the Millennium Stadium) has welcomed, on average, over 1.3 million visitors per year. It has played host to two Rugby World Cups including the final in 1999, three Wales Grand Slam successes in the RBS Six Nations, six FA Cup Finals and also witnessed a multitude of…

Read more…
Premium Supplier

Cut, collect and stripe with Even more Etesia models

Following the successful launch of the rear roller kit for their 41cm pedestrian rotary models last year, Etesia has announced that the kit is now also be available for 46cm models in their range.

Etesia pedestrian mowers have become world renowned for cutting and collecting in all…

Read more…
Premium Supplier

Etesia has launched three new battery-powered pedestrian rotary mowers – the PACS push and PACTS single speed 46cm models and the NACS push 41cm model. All new models are now also available with the new rear roller kit for easy, effortless striping.

The three new models offer extreme versatility with the ability to cut, collect and mulch without the need for an accessory. Users will be capable of mowing with or without collection in all conditions as well as undertake high-quality…

Read more…