About the Landscape Juice Network

Founded in 2008. The Landscape Juice Network (LJN) is the largest and fastest growing professional landscaping and horticultural association in the United Kingdom.

LJN's professional business forum is unrivalled and open to anyone within within the UK landscape industry

LJN's Business Objectives Group (BOG) is for any Pro serious about building their business.

For the researching visitor there's a wealth of landscaping ideas, garden design ideas, lawn advice tips and advice about garden maintenance.

2009 will it be harder to get work?

well i think im worrying abit, as work has been so slow, also i only started on my own last year, what do u think 2009 holds? will it be really hard to get new jobs do u think for garden maintenance? nothing is really happening at the min and most of my clients r on hold until spring, im starting to wonder if there is enough money to live comfortable in this game.

You need to be a member of Landscape Juice Network to add comments!

Join Landscape Juice Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ian,

It's not all doom and gloom and the weather hasn't helped. You will be rushed off your feet come April.

Look at quite a few of the other posts in all the forum sections as this subject has been (and will continue to) addressed.
  • I am suprised to be sayong that I am run off my feet with new enquiries here in Glasgow, after a winter that almost broke us.
  • Hello.

Iam in the same position as you.I started working for myself this time last year and its been a big up hill struggle.I had rather alot of one off jobs last year that did pay well but only had a few regular lawns to cutt through the growing season most of them only once per fortnight which paid little by the time running costs were taken out.I also do fencing and patios and these pay much better than Garden maintenance but again these jobs are few and far between.What form of advertising do you use ive tried newspapers which is very expensive and didnt even bring in 1 call,ive dropped leaflets and yet again nothing,all my work as been through word of mouth which is good of course.

Iam realy hoping for a better 2009 iam sure it cant be has bad as last year ??????????

James
  • You need to get a good large (read expensive) garden/house to look after..do a good job and the refferals will follow for very similar properties, few will be one offs most will need (require..no scrub that demand) regular work at least one full day a fortnight more likely one day a week, I've got one of about 40 acres that I do two days a week and sometimes more, when they go on holiday I house sit too which does involve looking after quite a few horses, cats and a dog.

Get some chainsaw training ? it's worth a thought not just to expand your usual tool kit.. but this end of the year is ideal for tree work, you could sub yourself out or take on your own work ??? Plus you might even get a bit of fire wood too ;-)

Perhaps a reminder advert to prompt people to finally get that hedge cut before the birds start nesting again...?

Gutter cleaning is also due as the leaves etc have all gone and the amount of rain we have had would have highlighted any that have been over flowing, can cause quite a bit of damage to guttering and even the house..?

Being flexible is most likely the key..

Good luck all
This reply was deleted.

LJN Sponsor

Advertising

PRO Supplier

Agrovista Amenity is excited to announce that it will be continuing its partnership with national environmental charity The Tree Council, pledging to sponsor the planting of more than a thousand trees. The trees will be planted over the next…

Read more…